Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge - The Sanctuary of Qa'luk Sak Tan

Looking really good MapMappingMapped (can I just call you MMM? lol).

I think the problem you are having with the arched building is that the shadows are falling in slightly different directions; the left most wall is ok (pointing to 9 o'clock like your other shadows), but the bottom wall is casting shadows at 7 o'clock and the right wall is casting them at 10 o'clock. Mind you, shadows from arches are a pain to draw, so you certainly gave yourself a challenge there

As for the building on top of the hill, I personally would add a shadow, even if it is using a little bit of artistic license. Just don't make it as long as the one being cast from the large rectangular building to help sell the fact it has sloping walls.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    Looking really good MapMappingMapped (can I just call you MMM? lol).

I think the problem you are having with the arched building is that the shadows are falling in slightly different directions; the left most wall is ok (pointing to 9 o'clock like your other shadows), but the bottom wall is casting shadows at 7 o'clock and the right wall is casting them at 10 o'clock. Mind you, shadows from arches are a pain to draw, so you certainly gave yourself a challenge there

As for the building on top of the hill, I personally would add a shadow, even if it is using a little bit of artistic license. Just don't make it as long as the one being cast from the large rectangular building to help sell the fact it has sloping walls.
    Everyone calls me MMM
    Thanks for the reply, PaperGriffin! I should post a wip soon!
    Oh, and for anyone who's wondering... yes, this place isn't exactly a wonder of civil planning. But that's a mystery for this ruin - some people think it's meant to represent Chaos, as the other Chuyun ruins are excellently laid-out and use space very well. But Qa'luk Sak Tan doesn't only seem to have been planned by a mad-man, most of its buildings don't make sense (the pyramid with no steps and no entrance... the arched building with the flat well... the pyramid with only pillars to welcome those who brave the old steps...) and are unusually almost never seen in other Chuyun ruins. Some people even suggest that it isn't Chuyun who have built the Sanctuary, but the mystery lives on...

Guild Artisan

I vote for M Cubed, as in, M to the 3rd.

Great job. Great colors and layout. Impressive.

Thanks Kier
    I need to stop procrastinating... I should psot again soon..

### Latest WIP ###
    Removed stray lines, graphite marks from the pencils, things that didn't work...

Why not so much rubble?
    At a certain time, Rednall was threatened by a powerful uprising, and the king sent troops around the Sanctuary. They were to build a fortress nto far off, and their leader had the idea of taking stones from the ruins down river. Bad choice - Chuyun protested en masse and threatened to declate war. At first the general only picked fallen stones, but he decided to destroy the Hall of Warriors. At that moment Chuyun warriors broke into the clearing and ordered him to be gone be dead. He left with the rubble and a few stones he'd loosened from the Hall. Not willing to start a war with the Chuyun whilst dealing with rebels, the king decided to leave the Sanctuary alone, but some damage had already been done. Now no one can take anything from the Sanctuary.
    It's almost complete! Do tell me if you see something off, with the shadows or else (I'm still not sure about the aqueducty-building..)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thesanctuaryyyytest.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	947.9 KB 
ID:	111930  
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 12-10-2018 at 04:51 AM.

### Latest WIP ###
    Just a bit of shadow tweaks, which you probably won't notice...

Views:	19 
Size:	947.9 KB 
ID:	111946  

### Latest WIP ###
    I think, once the labels are added, that I can call it done!
    (But still do tell me if there's anything wrong!)

Views:	13 
Size:	767.1 KB 
ID:	111956  

### Latest WIP ###
    So... Why do my filters (blurs) always disappear when I export from Inkscape (which I'm using to label the map)? That happened in February too (I still have nightmares from that experience lol).

Name:	thesanctuaryyyyinkscape.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	111962  

Guild Artisan

Sorry, I can't help you with Inkscape, pretty much hang out in GIMP. Although I want to give Inkscape a go at some point.

Looks great. Really came together .

Awesome sauce!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast