Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aelwydi

Quote Originally Posted by Gallien View Post
    The overall style is great! I love how the name of the sea fits into the "waves" texture.
    But something needs to be done with the forests. The sea isn't blue, so why are the forests green? Plus their borders are way too exact. Right now I like the version without the forests more.
    The border is great! If you decide to leave the squares empty, they could be reduced in size a little bit - but right now they are asking for something to be put inside, IMHO. Maybe some simple signs like runes or geometric figures?
    I like the idea of runes, so I made some to put in as well as tweaking with the borders a bit

The forests is something I have taken a look at too. What do you all think does this look like a better a approach, should I go back to the original or leave forests off all together?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tir Bore Region 1b1h.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	112183

I think the new colours are much better!
    Interesting idea with the leaves pattern.
    I like where all this is going

Oh, what a lovely, creative and smart way to depict forests ! I'm 100% for this version, both for the forests and colors. Congrats for your idea !

Wholly agree, new colors are great and I think the font looks much better too.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Nice idea for the forests, indeed ! It echoes the sea pattern nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallien View Post
    I think the new colours are much better!
    Interesting idea with the leaves pattern.
    I like where all this is going
    Thanks but I hope that it is less going and more gone now, I'm not sure it needs much more adding to it. I tried putting in labels for the mountain ranges a couple of times but couldn't get anything I like so this maybe be the final version (I did make one small tweak to the labels on the Eastern side.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, what a lovely, creative and smart way to depict forests ! I'm 100% for this version, both for the forests and colors. Congrats for your idea !
    Your praise means a lot as it was one of your maps that inspired me to start using patterns for the ocean/sea on maps. Ending up using a pattern for the forests is less of an idea and more of painting myself into a corner though

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Wholly agree, new colors are great and I think the font looks much better too.
    Great to hear I'm on the right track here

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice idea for the forests, indeed ! It echoes the sea pattern nicely.
    Thanks Ilanthar, I was lucky to be able to find a pattern I liked and could adapt to make up for my inability to draw forests!

Now onto the update(s)!

What do you all think of presenting it finally as two maps together for the sake of putting on the finished maps section, something like this:

Name:	tir bore combined.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	112256

Also as a bonus update it's possibly time to start looking at the next continent for Aelwydi. I say continent but it's not supposed to be that big, more of a large island in the northern region. Across the Huilend Sea we find Strangur, which was previously called Arwach by the elves. I do not have much lore written out for this place yet but it is basically the land of not-vikings that is pretty much trapped in ever winter. In past times the people of Strangur would go off raiding to make ends meet, classic viking stuff, but these days they tend to work more as mercenaries around the world with a bit of raiding on the side.

Name:	Strangur.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	380.6 KB 
ID:	112257

I've started work on my Strangur map. The concept I had for the map is to show a bit of the history of the island through the map or at least imply one of the major concepts for the lore there.

Name:	strangur partc1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	112513

I still suck at drawing but hopefully my attempt at a dragon doesn't look too bad. If anyone has any suggestions for how to make it looks better I'd love to hear them. What I want is the feeling that the dragon looms over the people of Strangur.

Small update but I think it makes a big difference! With the help of Mistybee and Ifrix I reworked the tail so it looks a lot better. I also added a small amount of shading to the dragon too.

Name:	strangur partc3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	112564

That's a lot better, Qed, and I'm glad if I helped a little

I love that dragon! I just want to cuddle him and/or ride on his back to burn my enemies to ash.

The map looks good too, even if I think it could maybe do with a little more breathing room between it and the frame?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast