Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aelwydi

Default Aelwydi

I have been world building away on a setting called Aelwydi and I have gotten to the point where I am ready to start doing "proper" maps of part of it. This is the first continent I've put together called Tir Bore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tir Bore.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	111710

Right now the issue I am stuck on is one of labelling. On a map of this large scale how much information do I want to put it it without making the map seem cluttered? I want to be able to show off the nice terrain but also provide some information on the continent as well.

It would really help me if people could chime in on what sort of information they think should be included on this type of map. Maybe just capital cities and country names? Should I include names for the seas/oceans and what about mountain ranges? I'm planning a more zoomed in map in a different style for a better look at the political region in the main north west portion for example as that is the most inhabited region (by humans at least).
    Last edited by QED42; 11-28-2018 at 12:37 PM.

That's a great looking map QED.

I'd probably put as little as possible on it if you are planning to map it's regions in more detail. Probably just oceans, regions and (possibly) mountain ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    That's a great looking map QED.

I'd probably put as little as possible on it if you are planning to map it's regions in more detail. Probably just oceans, regions and (possibly) mountain ranges.
    Thanks Tonquani.

I finally have an update. As I got stuck on where to go with the current map I inevitably started on another one. This shows the zoomed in region where most of the major nations on the continent are. It would be great to hear what people think so far.

Name:	Tir Bore Region 1b1a.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	111849

Well, I think it is coming along nicely so far, though I am a bit curious why you decided to use a different font for the rivers. Not that it is a bad thing, just curious if it is a stylistic choice or if there is an underlying theme that will be more evident as you continue working on this project.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

The main font I've been using seemed too blocking for rivers. Rivers are more thin and curly so seem like they need a thinner, more curly font if that makes sense? I'm not sold on the font I did use though because it's a bit hard to read in places.

Finally I do have an update.

I'm not 100% on this style of forest either but it's the best I've managed so far.

Name:	Tir Bore Region 1b1f.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	111947

Wow, that's quite a unique style! Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    The main font I've been using seemed too blocking for rivers. Rivers are more thin and curly so seem like they need a thinner, more curly font if that makes sense? I'm not sold on the font I did use though because it's a bit hard to read in places.

Finally I do have an update.

I'm not 100% on this style of forest either but it's the best I've managed so far.

Views:	213 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	111947
    Yup, that makes sense. Not sure how easy it would be to find two fonts that would match well together going from a block to curvy style, but I get where you're going. Maybe a moderately curvy font that you can use bold with for place names and then italics for river names? I am terrible with fonts so that's about the best suggestion I can offer.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Wow, that's quite a unique style! Nice work!
    Thanks, I hope it's unique in a good way! It's mostly limited to my ability, I try doing things a bunch of different ways till I find a method I can achieve that looks least terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Yup, that makes sense. Not sure how easy it would be to find two fonts that would match well together going from a block to curvy style, but I get where you're going. Maybe a moderately curvy font that you can use bold with for place names and then italics for river names? I am terrible with fonts so that's about the best suggestion I can offer.
    Yeah I suck at fonts too and labelling in general.

I have a little more done now, I've added in all the locations of the dwarf fortresses on the map. Duru being fort/hold in the dwarf language and Karmu being a ruined fort/hold. I also added in some more of the minor kingdoms to the South and some general labels to the East.

Views:	68 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	112054

I've been fiddling with the labels again and also done something with the border. Do you guys think that the squares in the corners need something in them? I can't think of something good that would fit there.

Name:	Tir Bore Region 1b1g.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	112156

The overall style is great! I love how the name of the sea fits into the "waves" texture.
    But something needs to be done with the forests. The sea isn't blue, so why are the forests green? Plus their borders are way too exact. Right now I like the version without the forests more.
    The border is great! If you decide to leave the squares empty, they could be reduced in size a little bit - but right now they are asking for something to be put inside, IMHO. Maybe some simple signs like runes or geometric figures?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast