Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aelwydi

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Looks good to me. My only nitpic would be the labels in the seas. Kinda hard to see against all the swirlies. Maybe a little darker on the lettering or a bit of outer glow of some sort just to make them stand out a bit more?
    Thanks for the tip, I put some white in there which I think makes them easier to see now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deheuolp8.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	116705

Interesting style. I think a dark halo around the sea labels would help.

Back to the grind stone, I have started thinking about what the full world map might look like. Obviously this includes adding in more new regions because why not make more work for myself?

Name:	aelwydi4.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	116986

Hopefully this starts to give an idea of how the different parts of the world fit together.

Trying out something a bit different for the mountains on this map, how do you think using this brush set has turned out?

Name:	aelwydi6.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	117091

They look pretty cool

I've not been around much lately, so I'm seeing your maps today for the first time in absolutely ages, and I am astonished to see how far you have come in the last year

Everything in this one is so well done, but have you thought of maybe reducing the opacity of that wave pattern just a very tiny bit? It's gorgeous, and it may just be me, but it does seem to compete just a little bit with the land for attention.

Thank you Mouse, great to see you back on the guild with us again I hope you are back full time now and this is not just a passing visit.

It is really nice to hear you think I have improved a lot, at the start it felt like I was taking big steps but lately I feel like I really hit a plateau or skill cap in my map making. Looking for the next step on how to improve is hard because with no drawing ability I am not sure where to go next.

When I load up the map again I will look at tweaking the opacity as you suggest, thank you for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Thank you Mouse, great to see you back on the guild with us again I hope you are back full time now and this is not just a passing visit.

It is really nice to hear you think I have improved a lot, at the start it felt like I was taking big steps but lately I feel like I really hit a plateau or skill cap in my map making. Looking for the next step on how to improve is hard because with no drawing ability I am not sure where to go next.

When I load up the map again I will look at tweaking the opacity as you suggest, thank you for the tip!
    Always remember that even though you may not realise it you learn with every minute you spend doing anything creative. The learning is usually small, and may only take the form of a single thought, so you may not notice it or even be able to recall when this or that particular tiny improvement took place. Take a look back at your early maps and compare this work with them if you don't believe me

I visit sometimes, but I'm very busy. My focus in life has shifted quite a lot. Although I can draw reasonably well, I have gravitated back towards using CC3 and making things to use with CC3. It gives me a lot of pleasure creating stuff for others to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Always remember that even though you may not realise it you learn with every minute you spend doing anything creative. The learning is usually small, and may only take the form of a single thought, so you may not notice it or even be able to recall when this or that particular tiny improvement took place. Take a look back at your early maps and compare this work with them if you don't believe me

I visit sometimes, but I'm very busy. My focus in life has shifted quite a lot. Although I can draw reasonably well, I have gravitated back towards using CC3 and making things to use with CC3. It gives me a lot of pleasure creating stuff for others to use.
    Well I hope we see you round here a bit more often in the future

I finally got to an update, mostly just noodling round the edges rather than doing anything important to the land parts while I decide how I am going to label it up.

Name:	aelwydi6.jpg 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	117285

I have made a little progress but not a huge amount. Mostly I have been messing around with the border and added in markers for where the capital/major cities are.

Name:	aelwydi7.jpg 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	117419

I don't like the knotwork in the corner of the main borders, that will probably go or be changed.

What I am mainly stuck on is how to do the borders of the different nations. If anyone has any suggestions for ways to do that or styles that would fit this map I would really appreciate it.

How does this look for showing where different countries are? Is it clear enough or do I need to up the opacity?

Name:	aelwydi9.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	117507

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast