Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge: Frozen

Guild Artisan

Default Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge: Frozen

Do you want to build a snowman?

Great now that song is stuck in my head.

Originally was going to do Jungle Ruins, but I am still recovering from some head cold and ended up on the couch watching Fate of the Furious this afternoon, and so ... the Jungle Ruins became Ice.

Temple is still work in progress. Obvious haven't finished the top half of it. I seem to have lost most of my height when I added ice and snow into the cracks taking the elevation shadows out. So I have some work to do there.

Snow and Ice are coming along. Still have some work to do though. Some of the shadows a little off. Would like to add some vegetation in the lower left corner where the snow is the deepest.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frozen2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	111763

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Great start! I love the gradual deepness of the snow, it's really great!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Thanks for jumping into the challenge Kier! Considering how much snow we have here in New Hampshire & Maine, this is a very appropriate topic, looking great!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    Great start! I love the gradual deepness of the snow, it's really great!
    Thanks. I haven't done snow or ice before, so has been a challenge for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Thanks for jumping into the challenge Kier! Considering how much snow we have here in New Hampshire & Maine, this is a very appropriate topic, looking great!
    Thanks for having me. Love the challenges, just hardly ever seem to find the time.

Yeah, this winter has been brutal already, it seems like its 3-6 inches every other day. Of course living on a mountain doesn't help. But beautiful country for sure.

Guild Artisan

Moving along. Did some rendering and GIMPing, snagged a couple photos from the back 40 and brought in. Not sold 100% on all the vegetation.
    Got the stair shadows in better, and got the temple's statues coming along.
    All may or may not be there next time around, I tend to move things in and out until satisfied. Got some border issues around the edges to fix, but I think its coming along.

Next up the final layer of the temple, so much harder making it rubble than just snapping a roof on it, lol.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Frozen Vegetation.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	111874

Wow. The big version with magnifying glass is like twice the size it was intended for, lol.
    Last edited by Kier; 12-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.

The dragon statues are great. It is not easy "breaking" a statue and making it look realistic, you did a great job with that one.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The dragon statues are great. It is not easy "breaking" a statue and making it look realistic, you did a great job with that one.
    Thanks Bogie. It was tough, and I would have loved to put different perspectives on the wing sticking in the ice, but every time I changed the perspective too much it was unrecognizable, so only changed it a little.

While I will take credit for turning them to stone, and modding a couple dragons together to get the pose I wanted, and breaking him, I had to snag the originals from the dundjinni archives. I wish I could 3D like that, lol. Maybe someday.

I have to resize the project going forward, as the map is showing too big, resolution is still good, just some items look better at the size they were intended. At this size I can see my weeds look too green and need deeper shadows at their bases cutting into the snow, but at printed resolution of 17x11 they look fine.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Having tried it twice previously, it is difficult to make a good top-down winter map, so color me super impressed!

The snow and ice textures are excellent!

Guild Artisan

Another Update. Built the Temple Top and Destroyed it. Added rubble throughout the Temple.

At think its coming along.

I still have to add snow piles throughout the Temple area, but seemed to have forgotten how I did it over the water already, lol.

Title and Scale still to come, and Grid. Posted it fairly close to the scale it is intended. And I seemed to have lose my dragon head, so will have to add some snow under him to highlight it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Frozen Vegetation8.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	905.7 KB 
ID:	111940
    Last edited by Kier; 12-09-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast