Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP- The First Land

Wip WIP- The First Land

The name for the world is still a WIP, but this is for my novel. It's still in the sketching faze. The glacier and coastline are hand drawn, as well as the animals in all four corners of the map. This world is based off of Finland, during the end of the last ice age. I looked at much of that country's geography, and what kind of impact large glaciers leave after they melt. I'd love some advice on how i'm doing so far, and if there are things that need to be fixed please let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daughter of Ice and Bone Map.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	111787  

I updated the animals and added some outlets for the larger lakes. I would love some advice and critiques!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daughter of Ice and Bone Map2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	111801

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hi Airzae, first, this is a legit WIP so have some rep for it

Second, it's hard to critique at the moment because it's really hard to tell the difference between islands and lakes. Think you could give it a quick-pass digital coloration so that we can see it more easily?

I filled in all the lakes/ocean. I hope this helps! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daughter of Ice and Bone MapLakeColor.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	111870

I like the portrait alignment and use of perspective - you don't see this a lot.

Reminds me very much of the maps used for Tad William's Osten Ard novels.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

This looks promising! Finland has definitely a lot of potential as an inspiration.

One thing I'm not quite sure about are the lakes though. Or, to put it better, the shapes and their alignment. If you look at a map of Finland, you can almost see the ways the glaciers took. Same thing for Sweden. I would suggest tweaking the shapes a little so they can "tell the story" better.

The animals in the corners look great, the one in the bottom left being pretty creepy.
    Last edited by Llannagh; 12-06-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The glaciation at the top would be better served by being a bit more irregularly shaped, I think. Plus, if you made it protrude a bit between lakes it would also sell those nicely as glacier lakes.

I redid the lakes after I looked at a map of Finland. You can really see how the glacier scraped holes and hollows into the land to allow all those lakes to form. The glacier itself is trickier for me. I added some more knobs and protruding bits, but I not sure how to make it well look 3-D. Like its leaping off of the map and not a flat surface.

Name:	Daughter of Ice and Bone Map5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	111887

Name:	Daughter of Ice and Bone Map7.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	111996

It's been a few days, but here's the update! I changed the glacier to make it look more realistic. The lines are going to be glacial moraines, and the lakes are all kettle lakes for the most part. Still trying to figure out how to shade the glacier, but it's going good so far.

I second Llannagh about the corner animals (and the bottom left one ).
    Looks promising!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast