Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Low Countries & Periphery, c. 1584

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think you can get away with the forest if you manage to find a good balance. I don't even see the wetlands to be honest. Are they the diagonal hatching? Cause I assumed that indicated contention.
    Good feedback. The wetlands are the blue horizontal lines. Sounds like I'll need to make it more visually prominent.

The legend will eventually have labels for all that, too.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Oh there they are, I'm not sure why I didn't see that. Perhaps I was expecting it to be higher contrast like some of the other elements. Looking at it I notice that you have the country colour going over the wetlands and the forest, kind of orange-ing them out, have you tried putting them over the colour layer to see how it looks? (this isn't a suggestion to change it as I honestly have no idea which way would work better, just a thought I had).

Hi all,

It's been some time since I've been able to circle back to mapping.

In the last five months I've started a new job, moved four hours away across state lines, and started a new relationship.

You could say it's been a busy 2019 so far!

But I'm circling back to my historic map project with a goal of completing it before midsummer.

Still messing with arrangement of labels and color schemes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RNMap-LC-WIP-2019-05May-20.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	590.4 KB 
ID:	115554

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Returning to this project after some months.

Still working on completing my labels, and I haven't even touched the inset map.

Larger, provincial labels in the main map likely aren't going to be an option with all the cities in place.

I'll be working on an accompanying map to cover the regional, provincial level of information.

Name:	RNMap-LC-WIP-2019-11Nov11.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	118784

Thinking I may pull out the shoals (the tan-blue-ish ocean lines) as they don't add anything to the political/military focus of the map.

But, oddly, I still like the shaded relief and wetlands layer on the dry ground... I think...
    Last edited by Will Phillips; 11-12-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Should that be The English Channel rather than The British Ocean? Otherwise really great looking map.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Should that be The English Channel rather than The British Ocean? Otherwise really great looking map.
    To our modern eyes, yeah, but at that time the maps from Low Countries cartographers recorded it as the "Oceanus Britannicus," so I stuck with that name.

Weirdly enough that stretch of water has had a number of names get used for it, that I can tell...

It's looking really polished. All the elements seem very clear and I really like the bold saturated colours. It's a nice map to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Phillips View Post
    Thinking I may pull out the shoals (the tan-blue-ish ocean lines) as they don't add anything to the political/military focus of the map.
    NNNNOOOO the shoals are stunning, a detail I rarely see included, and also convey where they should not put their ships.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Name:	RNMap-LC-WIP-2019-11Nov19.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	118970

Not a dramatic update, but it's one that reflects a lot of tedious work.

Trying to get reasonably close with towns and cities.

Next up will be documenting which ones saw sieges over the thirty year time span, adjusting icons accordingly, and then charting major battles.

Annoying work, but needs to be done!

Hi Will Phillips,

This is looking fantastic! Clear to see that lots of hard work has gone into this! Inspired me to offer a couple of bits of feedback, my first post, so please forgive me if this isn't helpful, I'm new around here!

I find it difficult to distinguish the orange broken lines from the pink ones, and wondered if the hatching for the rebellious regions could be more clearly distinguished, I love the palette, and wondered whether having one going left-to-right, rather than both going up-and-down, would help, rather than changing colours.

I noticed in the key that you have "Royalist Provinces under Dutch Revel Control of Influence", and wondered if you intended "Royalist Provinces under Dutch Rebel Control or Influence"?

I found my eye circling around the map between the areas of additional content, and wondered if the historical context (bottom left) could fit into one of the inset boxes, maybe the bottom right one, and whether the key for the region numbers would fit in the top left inset map frame? The latter, in particular, will depend on where and how the numbering manifests itself! Talking about the regions, if you are anglicising the names, would Abbey be appropriate for Abby?

I hope this helps!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast