Thread: Isarn, City of Revolution

Wip Isarn, City of Revolution

Greetings cartographers! As a fan of fantasy cartography, it was really quite wonderful to stumble upon such an amazing collective of artists. I hope to engage some folks, and find someone who would like to collaborate on a project in need of a deep polish in the visual department.

My friend and fellow gamer recently teamed up with me to build an urban roleplaying game setting. The simple idea soon became months of work creating locations, major figures and groups if import in our fictional metropolis. As the city invokes a lot of imagery from the French Revolution, when the issue of creating a map became unavoidable, we worked out a pretty simple solution: flip Paris upside-down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QiIQWcG.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	111797

What we thought was a simple solution proved quite difficult, as neither myself nor my co-GM has much talent for visual art. We finished with something suitably workable, but to see something better would really be fantastic!

Even with the map as it is, we are really proud of our work. We've fleshed out quite a bit of the city, and currently run internet-based games based in Isarn. We spent a good deal of time on the presentation, and we are confident in out little setting as a fertile ground for artistic endeavors. If any cartographers would be interesting in our odd little collaboration, we'd really love to engage with you.

-LQV

Links:
    Our current map
    The Galt Gazette

I'd love to work on this with you, as it sounds like a really interesting setting... Unfortunately, I'm busy with my current workload, so can't commit anything more than cheering you on and offering the odd bit of advice.

But if you're interested in taking on the challenge of city mapping yourself, there isn't a better place to start than here at the guild. The tutorials and how to sections give plenty of advice, and there's tips galore to find in the city mapping sections.

Your existing map is off to a good start, I'd say, but the base map you've used looks rather digital and low-res, in my opinion. My recommendation would be to trace over the main streets (or draw your own in each district) as a starting point.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the feedback Wingshaw. Tutorials should be very helpful as we have been figuring everything out as we go!