Thread: Caldor

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Caldor

I have had this map finished for about a month now but I have been a bit busy and, as such, kept delaying actually posting it.

In deciding the environments for this map I imagined that the storms of the region came in from the South-West into the Coral Sea. The storms would be concentrated on the southern end of the sea, and thus it is a jungle. The storms would then dissipate in the North East when they hit the mountains, leaving a completely dry space on the far side. I don't think this is exactly the way it would work on earth but it was a fun idea to incorporate into the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caldor.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	111830

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caldor-stained.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	111829

As always, critique is welcomed, especially of the border since this is the first time I have spent a great deal of time ensuring that the border is decorated.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wow. that's a lot of effort. did you hand draw that? It's a lot to look at, especially here at work, so i will get another look tonight. but initial thoughts are that the border is too busy for my taste and that you have two different border styles. doesn't really work for me. now, if the orientation were rotated to portrait instead of landscape, and the stonework border altered into a window view [looking out the window], the ivy along the edge would not only work, it would pop! nice work. it's something to think about.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLane529 View Post
    Wow. that's a lot of effort. did you hand draw that? It's a lot to look at, especially here at work, so i will get another look tonight. but initial thoughts are that the border is too busy for my taste and that you have two different border styles. doesn't really work for me. now, if the orientation were rotated to portrait instead of landscape, and the stonework border altered into a window view [looking out the window], the ivy along the edge would not only work, it would pop! nice work. it's something to think about.

It was a lot of effort! The entire map was hand drawn using either Copic multiliners or Pigma microns and then stained with tea to get the parchment-y affect.
    The border was intended to be busier than my normal ones, which are just empty picture-frame-ish styles but maybe I over killed it here. I will certainly consider a complete stone border (in a window shape) with the ivy curling around it for a future border that might not be too busy.