Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Map 59 - Arlys

Wip Map 59 - Arlys

Hey Guild !

It's time to start thinking about my little corner of the world here, so welcome in the Kingdom of Arlys, Land of the Lady

So, I had some fun time those last days with checking the climate and biomes threads, and lurking at what my eminent neighbors did for their countries. I saw ThomRey started to work on his country and mostly focused on climate and geography for now, I read some interesting things about the special salt you can find in the Moonwheel Islands by Southern Crane ("Moonwheel islands", how great is that name !!), also read about Ladiestorm's Yilseudor and as far as I can tell, Wingshaw didn't start yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arlys_general_situation.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	111866

As far as I can tell from the climate and biome thread, Arlys should have a kind of scandinavian climate (please tell me if I'm wrong !!), probably with pretty dry steppes in the northern part, something semi-humid temperate in the middle part, and probably colder in the southern part as it's not that far from the polar latitude which should bring some cold air and water around, maybe with occasionnal icebergs, and very long winters. For the southern part, there's a warm current coming from East, but cold winds from West, so I expect a very unstable weather.

The special shape and position of the country made me think it could be fun to imagine a sort of communication between the eastern and western oceans. Some sort of magic wonder : a giant Panama Canal (with a giant tunnel under the mountains), or more likely a crazy aircraft system to convoy merchandises from an ocean to another. That way, the southern countries would have a faster and safer way to trade with different parts of the world. For example if Thomrey wants to export precious woods to the eastern ocean, or if Southern Crane wants to export special salt to Bogie's Shireland or Robbie's U.K of Azuredawn. It's not as strategical as the Panama Canal or the Suez Canal, but I think any navigator would be happy to use a 99% safe 150 miles shortcut instead of the crazy "warm water current from East + cold winds from West" tempests, frozen sea and icebergs 5000 miles usual navigation route. With of course some good money in my pocket, guys
    I would prefer an aircraft system, because... well... because it's an _aircraft system_, of course, but maybe the winds in Arlys are too strong...?

Name:	Arlys_complete_world.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	111868

About the population, I think mountainous northern part and the cold southern part would be pretty sparsely populated, while the central part, having a better climate and interesting commercial opportunities would be more dense.

As for the culture, I'm a little annoyed here... Thomrey talked about a South-American culture, with petroglyphs, etc., while Southern Crane is about Polynesian culture. While I have a deep admiration for those civilizations, it's not exactly what I had in mind for Arlys, even if it can be super interesting to imagine a kind of polynesian/steampunk mix, with aircrafts flying over petroglyphs

Finally, a "quick" coastline and first WIP :

Name:	Arlys_WIP01_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	576.6 KB 
ID:	111869

If someone has any comment or suggestion about... well... anything here, I'm open to any kind of ideas

Hey ! Glad to see you kick in ! And we are voisins About the culture feel free to go your own way. There are places with insects civilizations and you can go for a Stargate settlement with people coming from anywhere magically if you want. There are many other non-magical ways that can explain huge difference between two neighboring civilizations. Do not hesitate to propose any idea, I'm flexible (as I'm effing late on the project ...), just know my land is in turmoil, the southern part being the part where the rebels are and the Emperor is an Aztec mummy kind of lich It's the land of the dead sun after all !

Well, I'm the most southern I think and I'm not going full ice. I did sort of look over at what was going on along the same line as I'm on but they weren't all ice either.
    You can always have a culture based on an invasion force that carved out a space for themselves. That can easily explain the differences in cultures.

And this reminds me I need to get back on this and wrap mine up.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Polynesian steampunk. Sounds interesting.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, Beee!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Glad you picked this up Beee, can't wait to see what you'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hey ! Glad to see you kick in ! And we are voisins About the culture feel free to go your own way. There are places with insects civilizations and you can go for a Stargate settlement with people coming from anywhere magically if you want. There are many other non-magical ways that can explain huge difference between two neighboring civilizations. Do not hesitate to propose any idea, I'm flexible (as I'm effing late on the project ...), just know my land is in turmoil, the southern part being the part where the rebels are and the Emperor is an Aztec mummy kind of lich It's the land of the dead sun after all !
    Hey voisin !
    Still not decided about the culture, but I assume the choice will be obvious at some point
    So, I'll make sure to protect my nothern boundary : I definitely don't want lichs in my shiny-peaceful-wealthy country

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Well, I'm the most southern I think and I'm not going full ice. I did sort of look over at what was going on along the same line as I'm on but they weren't all ice either.
    You can always have a culture based on an invasion force that carved out a space for themselves. That can easily explain the differences in cultures.

And this reminds me I need to get back on this and wrap mine up.
    Hmm thanks for the information ! So not that cold, then.
    Bye bye, dear cute icebergs !

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Polynesian steampunk. Sounds interesting.
    Haha, isn't it ? 'was just a joke, but maybe the idea takes roots ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, Beee!
    So I do ! It's still pretty nebulous so far, but we'll see ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Glad you picked this up Beee, can't wait to see what you'll do.
    Thanks ! I'll try to keep it as my December/January personal project, so it should not be too long. I always try to not have unfinished maps in my drawers

Oh dang, I had almost forgotten about the Guild World! I'll have to try and pick up a country for myself as well at some point, I'd love to be a part of this!

I hadn't picked up on this before now, but I echo my fellows before me, I look forward to seeing what you'll bring into this project. Looks interesting so far!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Oh dang, I had almost forgotten about the Guild World! I'll have to try and pick up a country for myself as well at some point, I'd love to be a part of this!
    I hadn't picked up on this before now, but I echo my fellows before me, I look forward to seeing what you'll bring into this project. Looks interesting so far!
    Damn, I was so sure I read you name in the country list ! (that color thing... -_-) But I would be really happy to see you join too !!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Damn, I was so sure I read you name in the country list ! (that color thing... -_-) But I would be really happy to see you join too !!
    I was considering joining in last year or so, but it never went anywhere... But if that one country there is still free I'm in, just put in an inquiry about it ^^ Better late than never, yeah?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast