Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Map 59 - Arlys

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Superb ! I will try and get this into the large zoomy map shortly. Give me a poke in the ribs if I forget...
    Thanks Red !!
    But no worries : it's not finished yet, so you can enjoy a peaceful November ! Once finished, I'll make sure to provide an alpha version to make your work easier

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That's coming along splendidly, Beee
    Thanks J ! ^^

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It'll be a jewel in the guild world !
    One of your finest... in my humble opinion !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It'll be a jewel in the guild world !
    One of your finest... in my humble opinion !
    Aaah, who knows ? There's details here I wish I had done differently now I'm better, but I started it sooo long ago ! Anyway, even if I still have cities and labels to work on for the map itself, I felt in the mood of working on a stupid border those days, so let's see if you love this concept so far !
    This WIP pic was made a few days ago but I forgot to post it. I'm now a bit further, but it's not ready to be shown yet ^^'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arlys_WIP08_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	745.3 KB 
ID:	126509

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I haven't got the faintest idea why this thread eluded me for so long, but I'm in love!! Also, very envious of your skills, but mostly in love!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

That's unbelievable ! Where do you find the time to draw such a crazy border ?
    the buildings are just amazing and the whole illustration is striking ! What an ambiance !

I'm a bit less fond of the blue lines (too "modern times" maybe ?) but I think I'll just wait to see what you'll do with that for the next wip befor I'll make my mind !

Blog Entries

I am curious too about the border. Its so neat with all the buildings having arches so symetical and bulbous domed roofs so perfectly rounded. Its so arty and yet technical. If I even deluded myself that I had the ability and wished that I wanted something similar to that then I would have to build the whole damn thing in sketchup or something and technical apps tend to sap the artistic side of things. Do you use a CAD type package for this or is this still all done in a paint / 2d vector app ?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I'm a bit less fond of the blue lines (too "modern times" maybe ?) but I think I'll just wait to see what you'll do with that for the next wip befor I'll make my mind !
    I'm not sure, but I think the blue lines are draft guides that decided to peek through so we could get a glimpse at Beee's trade secrets!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    I haven't got the faintest idea why this thread eluded me for so long, but I'm in love!! Also, very envious of your skills, but mostly in love!
    Haha, thanks Canwyr ! No dout the Lady of the Map will return your love !

That's unbelievable ! Where do you find the time to draw such a crazy border ?
    the buildings are just amazing and the whole illustration is striking ! What an ambiance !

Glad you love the buildings, Jo ! But hmm... is that the design of the lines you're sceptical about or the color ? 'cause the color is obviously totally temporary : I always use that blue for my sketches
    Anyway, the frame shoud be a bit more modern that what I usually do, 'cause I need to explore different styles. I'll probably go for something between Art Nouveau & Art Deco, to fit the Steampunk general style of the map.
    Where do I find the time... well... I have one word for you : lockdown ! But joke appart, I'm in a weird period, with my clients very, very late at answering me, so my current work is slowed down and let me some very welcome free hours every day

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I am curious too about the border. Its so neat with all the buildings having arches so symetical and bulbous domed roofs so perfectly rounded. Its so arty and yet technical. If I even deluded myself that I had the ability and wished that I wanted something similar to that then I would have to build the whole damn thing in sketchup or something and technical apps tend to sap the artistic side of things. Do you use a CAD type package for this or is this still all done in a paint / 2d vector app ?
    Oh no, absolutely no CAD ! That would take so much time for me ! ^^
    The city is 100% freehand, drawn in Photoshop with my dear Cintiq, except I used the symmetry tool in Photoshop on the round-shaped buildings, in order to save time. For this city, I started with a very rough grid showing the general shape and strong lines, and just added buildings on that general skeleton, floor by floor. As you can see, I firstly planned to draw a big rocky structure at the bottom. I started with the top part of the city, 'cause from experience I learned it's the best for me to start with the smallest buildings, developping the specific architecture style as long as they grow to the bottom. Once reached the 'medium sized' buildings, I realised the rocky part wouldn't fit, so I decided to add a foreground with bigger buildings to give give a more detailed, and better idea, of the general style of the city and country. Also a better balance with the Lady.

Name:	Arlys_Citysketch_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	126528

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think the blue lines are draft guides that decided to peek through so we could get a glimpse at Beee's trade secrets!
    Haha, indeed ! Thanks Caenwyr ^^

Yes,. it was mainly the colours (for the lines)

Otherwise, you managed very well to give a steampunk atmosphere to the whole map !

And so, lockdown has it's bright side !!! More maps !!! I'm glad you have time to draw such beautiful pieces of art !

Yes,. it was mainly the colours (for the lines)

Otherwise, you managed very well to give a steampunk atmosphere to the whole map !

And so, lockdown has it's bright side !!! More maps !!! I'm glad you have time to draw such beautiful pieces of art !
    It's time, Jo ! Blue is gone forever, replaced with those dear old brown lines ^^

New additions for this new version :
    - Drew the concept of the frame,
    - Added title,
    - Added flying things in the top part of the frame & title,
    - Added gold on city and statue,
    - Added shading and light on city, statue and a bit more.
    It's now time to work hard on the definitive colors for the map, and I also need to finish the map itself, adding cities and labels. Uh... ^^

Name:	Arlys_WIP09_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	741.1 KB 
ID:	126838

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast