Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP Unnamed World Map

The new oceanic current map looks better than the first one, a bit more impredictible which also makes it more realistic. For the pressure map, just remember that the center of the lows and high over continents is usually east of the longitudinal center of the continent. Winds are dry after passing mountains, and wet after passing above hot water. They also get drier with distance, but sometimes clouds can just pass and rain never fall for weeks until it meet a cold air mass (e.g from mountains). Cold currents can create coastal desrts like the Atacama. I will also review the climate map later.

Thanks, Jean-Abdel. Your comments and input are very much appreciated! I am updating the climate map, so it might be better to wait until I post the new version before commenting. I tend to go through many revisions, gradually revising and adding more detail each time.

In the meantime, I have some questions about the South-Western continent. The plateau on this continent is the largest, and is roughly equivalent to the Tibetan Plateau. I am quite unsure about the interior of the continent though. It is dominated by moderate elevation, either from old orogeny or uplifting, but not extremely high.

I have highlighted my questions on the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 22.20.36.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	111986

(mistake: The 'As' region is supposed to say 'Aw'.)
    Last edited by davoush; 12-11-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Nice land shapes!

Ok so your climate just needs a few changes: small islands (even the size of Japan or Borneo) can't be arid, maybe the ones in the "mediterranean" because they're not under the influence of an ocean, but all the other ones should be either A, C or cold( Dfc/Dfd/E)
    Desert on the big central plateau will be Bwk, like the some parts of the coastal deserts. Otherwise it's fine, just always have a look at real life maps.

About the map of the southern continent, the area east of the plateau will probably be Df or Dw, the area in northeast will be Am, very rainy with a huge mosoon while the mountain will act like the western Ghats and the area in the rainshadow will be BSh. I'm not sure for the central area but near the coast it will probably be Cfc and get more and more continental (Dwb/c).
    Last edited by Jean-Abdel; 12-12-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    Thanks, Jean-Abdel. Your comments and input are very much appreciated! I am updating the climate map, so it might be better to wait until I post the new version before commenting. I tend to go through many revisions, gradually revising and adding more detail each time.

In the meantime, I have some questions about the South-Western continent. The plateau on this continent is the largest, and is roughly equivalent to the Tibetan Plateau. I am quite unsure about the interior of the continent though. It is dominated by moderate elevation, either from old orogeny or uplifting, but not extremely high.

I have highlighted my questions on the image.

Name:	Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 22.20.36.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	111986

(mistake: The 'As' region is supposed to say 'Aw'.)
    Ok, so here's my take on what the patterns of rainfall would likely look like:

Name:	Questions.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	111997

The central interior could either be arid or have a winter dry, savannah-esque climate (could be steppe as well).

The coast east of the large plateau would probably have reduced rainfall compared to the western coast, but it won't be completely dry. The way the westerly-dominated mid-latitude belt works is that it basically has extratropical cyclones circling the globe in a west->east direction, and depending on the location of the cyclone, the wind direction varies locally. Also, tropical cyclones can cross into the middle latitudes typically following warm currents (a map from wikipedia demonstrating this). I've drawn some of the more usual "cyclone paths" on the map, as well as an example of a cyclone located in such a position that the eastern coast would receive winds directly from the ocean.
    Last edited by Charerg; 12-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks Charerg - helpful and informative as ever!

I more or less envisioned the rainfall patterns similarly to you - the only difference was I had the mediterranean-like belt limited to the west coast making me uncertain about the interior, but it is good to know that it could extend across the area.

I imagine the coast East of the plateau would still be in the 'f' category (fully humid) then?

Is there any guide on when elevation causes a (semi)-arid climate to go from hot steppe/desert to cold? I haven't settled on elevations 100% yet, and for the sake of variety I might try to get a cold steppe/desert climate somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    Thanks Charerg - helpful and informative as ever!

I more or less envisioned the rainfall patterns similarly to you - the only difference was I had the mediterranean-like belt limited to the west coast making me uncertain about the interior, but it is good to know that it could extend across the area.

I imagine the coast East of the plateau would still be in the 'f' category (fully humid) then?

Is there any guide on when elevation causes a (semi)-arid climate to go from hot steppe/desert to cold? I haven't settled on elevations 100% yet, and for the sake of variety I might try to get a cold steppe/desert climate somewhere.
    The eastern coast would likely have f climates, yes. In the Köppen classification, areas that have a mean annual temperature below 18 °C are considered cold steppes/deserts. So the elevation required to drop the temperature below the threshold depends on what the annual mean at sea level elevation is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12