Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I draw a glacier?

Ahh i'm hopeless at this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 2.30.09 PM.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	111964

On this wiki there are a couple awesome reference photos for what you are after: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perito_Moreno_Glacier. Just scroll down and there are two huge ones on the right.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 3.56.08 PM.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	111965 How does this look?

Looks to me like you're headed in the right direction. Maybe wit a bit of shading, it will come together for you. I, personally, am terrible when it comes to shading, so I can't offer much advice, but I am sure there are others here that can help. You might also check out the tutorials section, particularly tutorials for mountains as they might be helpful when it come to shading. Most importantly, don't get discouraged, you've made some fine progress so far, and as you keep working at it, you'll find that it will start coming to you quicker and "easier" over time.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I think that's looking tons better.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've tried doing some shading, and tbh it's not turning out very well >.< Glaciers have so many more planes and angles then mountains do. More shadows, more little spots where light could bounce off.

Just remember always start off simple and build a good foundation and then start working out the details. When you looks at the reference photos close one eye and just squint that should give you the simplified form, then copy those sorts of shapes out. Especially for the shading this is a useful technique. I'd also suggest drawing out a few test samples before going whole hog. Indeed I suggest just try drawing one or two of the references straight out, to try and figure them out.

All that said, the last one you posted seemed to be heading the right direction, it was pretty good.

What brush would be good for shading? And should it be a dark grey since this is just black and white?

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 3.37.11 PM.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	111998 This is what I have so far D:

Took a while for me to get back to following your progress on this, and it looks like you're still making progress. In that while, I ran across a mini-tutorial image by our own Djekspeck that I had saved and might be of some help here. It was originally done in color but since you are working in black and white (or maybe grayscale for a bit of shading), I took the liberty of converting it to grayscale before reposting it here for you. DJ has some other great image based mini-tutorials that you might also find useful if you feel up to searching for them in the tutorials sub-forum. Best of luck as you move forward with this.

Name:	Step-by-Step-by-Djekspek_ice_wall (grey scale).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	112196
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast