Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Swamps of Rasfadal

Default The Swamps of Rasfadal

Hi all!

For my Patreon page I'm currently working on a set of swamp themed maps. The first two have been posted and I just wanted to share them here as well. I plan to update this thread with new finished maps regularly. I figured that is should go in the 'Finished Maps' section for that reason, but if it belongs in the 'General and Miscellaneous Mapping' subforum, feel free to move it!

The first map is a map of The Swamps of Rasfadal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rasfadal_CG.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	8.21 MB 
ID:	111933

The Swamps are a region in the east of the kingdom of Rasfadal. Long ago it was a region dotted with countless town and villages, and even some significant trade ports. Many lords build their castles here, and with its stench and not so charming sights, it was still considered a decent place to live.
    When the War in the West broke out, the king needed every man to fight, and as a result the swamps were no longer protected. The region fell, but it was not to preying neighbours, as one might expect; bandits came out of their camps in the woods and swiftly took control of the settlements of The Swamps. They made their homes in the castles of lords and ruled over The Swamps. Many leaders proclaimed themselves bandit-kings.

The war lasted a full decade, and when the men from The Swamps returned to their homes they found that nothing was left. The king set out to reclaim the lands that were lost to the bandits, but was unsuccessful, pushed back by the bandits that now controlled these lands.

The king has since then given up on The Swamps; legally, they are still part of his kingdom, but he no longer has influence of the land. Many lords still wish to return home, and every now and again one sets out to the swamps with a band of soldiers, but none have yet succeeded...

The Swamps of Rasfadal are a stinking setting with plenty of opportunities for ambitious players. Will you help a lord reclaim his lost castle, and safe his family? He will surely be grateful and generous. Or will you offer your service to one the bandit-kings? Help them fight off soldiers, and uuhm... "collect" taxes?

The second map in this theme is The Village of Eastbridge

Name:	Eastbridge.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	6.24 MB 
ID:	111934

Eastbridge is an old village build around a bridge, guarded by the bridgekeeper. It consists of a couple of houses build around muddy roads. The fishing dock supplies most of the food for the village. Oh, and there's an Inn that seems surprisingly luxurious and fancy for a place like this.

Many adventurers that travel through The Swamps are overwhelmed by the foul stench. It's hard to imagine that people manage to live here, and even call it 'a decent place to live'. Still, after spending a day or two in The Swamps, one gets used to the smell.

The smell of Eastbridge is something else entirely though. Even people from The Swamps refer to it as 'Stink Bridge'. Many foreigner's get dizzy and nauseous when they enter Eastbridge, and some even pass out. The only place in the village that doesn't smell like... well, no one actually knows what it smells like. It's just terrible. However, the only place that doesn't smell so bad, is the Bridgekeeper's Inn. It doesn't just smell better than it does outside, it actually smells nice inside. With soft incense and relaxing music. This is without doubt the place that anyone passing through Eastbridge, or The Swamps in general, would want to rest.

That is, of course, 'if' the bridgekeeper let's you cross the bridge...

Eastbridge makes a nice place for players to rest and maybe restock if the shop owners don't scare you away. With the mysterious Bridgekeeper's Inn there's plenty of investigation to be done around here as well. Oh, and are you looking for a fight? Great news: all you have to do is make eye contact!

As always, let me know your thoughts!

Delicious! - uh, I mean, excellent! I really like the smooth lines, and especially the village one!

Your lineart is always super neat and clear, it looks nice! There is something about the coastlines on the former map or the ocean around them that bother me a tiny bit - I can't say for sure if I think they are a little too bright compared to the deep green-ish hue of the ocean. Maybe the rings around them together with the softer light coloring together is a bit too much...? I'm not certain.

The problem doesn't really persist in the second map, whatever it is. I love how delicate the linework is in that one.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Always great when it comes from you, Dan !
    I just have a problem with my eyes constantly looking at this bridge not following the grid : I totally understand it's volunteer but... but... _it's not following the grid_ (!!) and I'm unable to see anything else

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the village map.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very nice maps, Daniel, as per usual .

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Delicious! - uh, I mean, excellent! I really like the smooth lines, and especially the village one!
    Thanks MMM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Your lineart is always super neat and clear, it looks nice! There is something about the coastlines on the former map or the ocean around them that bother me a tiny bit - I can't say for sure if I think they are a little too bright compared to the deep green-ish hue of the ocean. Maybe the rings around them together with the softer light coloring together is a bit too much...? I'm not certain.

The problem doesn't really persist in the second map, whatever it is. I love how delicate the linework is in that one.
    Thank Kel! Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Are you referring to the white lines around the coast, or the lighter shade of green/yellow?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Always great when it comes from you, Dan !
    I just have a problem with my eyes constantly looking at this bridge not following the grid : I totally understand it's volunteer but... but... _it's not following the grid_ (!!) and I'm unable to see anything else
    Thanks Beee! I hate when town and city maps are perfectly lined up to a grid. So I decided to sacrifice some OCD satisfaction for assymetry. But yeah, part of me want to rotate the map to fit the grid too!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous! Love the village map.
    Thanks ChickPea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice maps, Daniel, as per usual .
    Thank you Ilanthar!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Can't rep you again, but great map, love the color choice here! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Thank Kel! Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Are you referring to the white lines around the coast, or the lighter shade of green/yellow?
    I'm honestly not sure I know what I mean myself. I think it's both. I.e. the tone looks too light when you have both the lines and the background/ocean color much lighter too? It's not terrible, by any means, but for some reason it looks a little bit off to me.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 12-11-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Can't rep you again, but great map, love the color choice here! =)
    Thanks Steffen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'm honestly not sure I know what I mean myself. I think it's both. I.e. the tone looks too light when you have both the lines and the background/ocean color much lighter too? It's not terrible, by any means, but for some reason it looks a little bit off to me.
    Hmm... Maybe it just doesn't need the white rings around the coast with the lighter shade around the coast.

Here's the next map in the set, Gyn's Tower

Name:	Gyn's Tower Free.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	7.80 MB 
ID:	112031

Since long before anyone can remember, House Hurmuir owned the tower that overlooked the southern ends of Hare Bay. The Lords Hurmuir lived there with their spouse and controlled the region known as Duwyn Mire.
    When the War in the West broke out, Lord Dunkur Humuir was called to fight and he took with him his son, Darstur. Lord Dunkur achieved many victories and became a hero. No one thought he could be beaten.

That changed when Lord Dunkur and his men were ambushed by enemy soldiers; before anyone knew what was happening, they had been overrun and defeated. Lord Dunkur fell, and only a handful of people made it out alive. One of those people was Lord Dunkur's son, Darstur, now the new Lord Hurmuir. Before he died, Lord Dunkur told his son: "Go home safe!". Darstur promised his father he would, and continued fighting for the remainder of the war.

When the war was over, Darstur went home, only to find the Tower of Hurmuir taken over by bandit-king Gyn! In an attempt to safe his family and reclaim the tower, Darstur charged the tower with his men, but the bandits were able to fend them off. He was forced to go back to the capital and request assistance from the king. When he arrived there the king told him that he had already send out most of his troops to reclaim The Swamps and that he couldn't spare any more.

Lord Darstur does not intent to forsake his promise and reclaiming the tower will always be his first and foremost priority!

Gyn's tower offers a nice set of opportunities for adventurers. They can help Lord Darstur reclaim the tower and safe his family, or they can offer their support to bandit-king Gyn. Help him get rid of Darstur and expand his influence. Of course they might also want to take the tower for themselves, and see what valuables might be inside?

As always, let me know your thoughts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast