Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BASSHAM - The Western Frontier

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Default BASSHAM - The Western Frontier

Hey everyone! =)

Today, Marko Djurdjevic (the AD) spoiled the map I made for SIXMOREVODKA Studio in Berlin. It belongs to the RPG called DEGENESIS, which is among my all-time favorite Pen-&-Paper games. Therefore, it was incredible to get this chance along with some other maps to come out with 'Justitian - The Rightful Fist', a book packed full of insanely skilled art and top-end production value. It belongs to the same world as the World Map (check it out here) I created earlier. Mobilis (look here) was the first one I've shown; more to come =)

About the city from the book 'Black Atlantic': Two of the Pheromancer queens have already perished. The defeat of Markurant, King of Bassham, came with great sacrifices and an exhaustive amount of resources. Eighteen years ago, a crusade of Anabaptists, Spitalians, Judges, Resistance, and Scrappers stormed the Ziggurath in Bassham. Thousands died in the carnage that lasted weeks, but the Baptist Amos along with Vincent, the Breaker of Bassham, emerged victorious from the battle. It was the first big defeat for the Pheromancers. To date, Bassham is considered a symbol of Frankan resistance and the alliance of the Cults. At the same time, the victory brought about massive territorial gains for Justitian. The Protectorate was able to expand to Franka and redefine its borders. Today, a triumvirate of Spitalians, Anabaptists and Judges reigns in Bassham. They have secured the border town and keep an eye on the swarm's every move.

The city has grown since then, about tenfold to what it once was. As a beacon it stands, but the weight of the people is a strain on the supply chain. More than once, the sheer amount of people made it necessary to break down walls and let the city spread like a tumor to the east.

If you want to check out the world, just browse through their stuff - they really don't have to hide:
    Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tw3KaMr8wk

Hope you like it, it was a blast! =)

Best wishes, Steffen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steffen-brand-final-a3-bleed-bassham-en.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	111979
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 12-12-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Thank you very much, Sapiento! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Stunning piece of city map art Steffen! "Vauban meets post-apo" Love the concept and the style you're displaying in your works for Degenesis. It really nails the feeling of the setting (at least the glimpses i could get through the vids and promo). Gongratz for this (series of) commission(s). Really looking forward for more.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Very nice. I still haven't really worked myself up to doing a real city like this. I'm always impressed by you guys that do this so well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I'll have to echo Abu: you've really hit a sweet spot with the style for this type of setting. I love this bleak and dark color palette, it's subtle yet very effective at the same time. Yet another fantastic piece, but of course I expect no less by this point
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This is not an ordinary city map. This is an highly interesting city map. No fancy colors, no icons but yet so complex and interesting. Well done!
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Very nice and inspirational map! The video is pretty cool too!

Superb, and so detailed ! I love how you're able to adapt your work to different styles and universes

Wow, thank you everyone! I appreciate this response greatly! =)
    @Abu Lafia & Kellerica: There will be more, don't worry; I expect between 6-8 more.

You guys make me want to directly dive in again, thank you so much, again!
    Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast