Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Morag Castle

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    OMG ! What a job !!!!
    I understand the term "time consuming" ! That shows patience and obstination ! But it's worth it, in my opinion !!!!
    The amount of details is mind blowing, but it gives a good "real" aspect to the map !
    I wonder if you can use copy-paste for some walls ? I'm sure it won't show on the general map !
    Thanks JO, I'll continue then I'll see for the copy-paste, It's tempting because I don't have a lot of free time, but it's actually relaxing to draw all these lines without thinking

One thing I didn't catch, is the terrain around the whole castle : is there just a cliff on the left of the castle or there is more ?
    It's supposed to be the bank of a river, I hope that will be more clear when I draw the river and color the whole thing.
    It seems that you love castle... have you ever been to Guedelon ?
    Never. I heard of it but I never looked at where it was located and it's funny because it is not far away from Sancerre (btw a beautiful tower, a remnant of the city's fortifications here) where I usually go one or two times a year, so I'll probably have the opportunity to visit it this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Feedback ? You want feedback ? Don't back down ! Sweat it out, it's glorious ! Once shaded, it'll be breathtaking !
    Thanks Thomas and I think I'll surely need advices for the shading!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Yey, that looks amazing already ! I can't wait to see the next steps ! No feedbacks for me : it's just great !
    thanks Bee, it encourages me
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy One View Post
    I really like where this is going, but i'm not convinced by the lines thickness: they look a bit too variable in thickness, somehow innatural to my eye. Nothing too important, just a first-glance feeling.
    Thanks The Lazy (the misnamed ) One. If you mean the tapering of each line it is actually intended, else I will surely redraw the cliff around the old castle (their outline it too big among other things) and I wonder if I should thicken walls outlines? The colouring could unify the lines too, I'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Thanks The Lazy (the misnamed ) One. If you mean the tapering of each line it is actually intended, else I will surely redraw the cliff around the old castle (their outline it too big among other things) and I wonder if I should thicken walls outlines? The colouring could unify the lines too, I'll see.
    Yes, that's quite what i was talking about. In general, all the lines have a variable thickness which is neither the comicbooky style (where the weights are more "diamond shaped", neither the ink-on-paper feel (where the thickness is quite the same but at the ends). At first glance, the feeling is maybe a bit too artificial, but i don't know how to fix that.

Keep us updated, i'd be interested to see how the parts will merge together at the end!

I'll have to disagree with Laz, I think the varying thickness of the lineart is the very thing that gives it a certain character and makes it look like it isn't digitally generated. It doesn't bother me, actually I really like how it looks. Your hand is steady enough that it doesn't look messy.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'll have to disagree with Laz, I think the varying thickness of the lineart is the very thing that gives it a certain character and makes it look like it isn't digitally generated. It doesn't bother me, actually I really like how it looks. Your hand is steady enough that it doesn't look messy.
    I couldn't agree more. This linework is just awesome. I only wish I could do something like that!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thanks all! I've nearly finished the walls linework... As I work on it just once in a while the challenge is to keep the same style and pressure...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morga-castle-4.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	112614

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Amazing work !!! I can't wait to see it with colors, shadows and all... Keep on !

What software do you use for the linework, if you don't mind me asking?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    What software do you use for the linework, if you don't mind me asking?
    Artrage. We can easily control aspect, rotaion, smoothing and taper of the Ink Pen tool in my opinion. Btw I've begun the year with a sciatic which makes the sitting position uncomfortable, happy new year but I hope to post some progress soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Thanks all! I've nearly finished the walls linework... As I work on it just once in a while the challenge is to keep the same style and pressure...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morga-castle-4.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	112614
    Did you use some graphic tablet or mouse only?

No, no mouse a watcom intuos

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast