Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Morag Castle

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Wip Morag Castle

Hi all,
    This will be a huge map (for me): a castle/fortified village in a battlemap style. Each square of 50 pixels represents traditionally 5 feet or 1.5 meters. Here are the shapes of the main walls and towers of the first floor. I have certainely did some mistakes so I will add the buildings later after some feedback. The corridors and stairs are a bit wide for example, but I am constrained by the squares. I will then redraw all that, don't know which style i'll use yet. I will then maybe add maps of the other levels, depending of my motivation
    I'm a bit worry about the size of the finished map (2+ mo at 70% quality jpeg so far)
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morga-castle-1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	111989

Interested to see what you do with this one, Tenia. Your maps are always cool.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I don't know if it will be cool but, after two weeks without being able to do any mapping, I managed to make some progress A focus on the main castle:
    A sloping bridge (1) leads to the drawbridges (2) (the main one and the pedestrian) which will be overhung by machicolations from which the defenders will be able to throw all kinds of things at the attackers: not boiling oil because it is too expensive, but burning sand (very effective), pitch or cows for example.
    May the attackers cross the main entrance, they will find themselves in a first inner courtyard (3) flanked by numerous arrowslits.
    From the lord's stable (4), only one stock room on the first floor and one of the round towers (5) can be accessed. Most of the doors giving access to the towers are arranged in such a way that they cannot be broken down with a ram. Spiral stairs go up in clockwise direction, so that the attackers cannot use their right hand properly when climbing.
    A second courtyard (6), which in peacetime serves as a training courtyard, is protected by a double door and a wall (7).
    After passing through a last double gate (, the attackers will have access to a third courtyard (9), from where they will again be targeted by the defenders on the curtain walls (10), in the garrison rooms (11) and possibly in the chapel (12).
    The ground floor of the dungeon (13) serves as a storage room and only leads to the jails in the basement by a spiral stair.
    Access to the living rooms in the keep is via two retractable wooden stairs (14).
    The curtain walls are only reachable by the round towers and the old square tower (15).

Name:	morga-castle-2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	112225

I am not that happy with the elevations surrounding the castle and the sloping bridge needs certainly to be redone, let me know what you think of all this.
    Merry Christmas!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The way to the main tower is very well defended ! Good work for the well thought defenses : no blind spot !

Tu as bien étudié la poliorcetique !

Merci Jo However, there is always the risk that a magician will teleport directly to the top floor of the dungeon and turns the paranoid count of Morag into a toad
    Here is where I am now, did I miss some room? Most buildings will have and second floor, mainly bedrooms, and be reassured there will be other latrines in the walls, in the upper floors

Name:	morga-castle-3.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	112444

Some linework test for the walls. It is time consuming, so I would like to wait for a possible feedback before going further if possible...

Name:	morga-castle-4.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	112512

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

OMG ! What a job !!!!
    I understand the term "time consuming" ! That shows patience and obstination ! But it's worth it, in my opinion !!!!
    The amount of details is mind blowing, but it gives a good "real" aspect to the map !
    I wonder if you can use copy-paste for some walls ? I'm sure it won't show on the general map !

One thing I didn't catch, is the terrain around the whole castle : is there just a cliff on the left of the castle or there is more ?

It seems that you love castle... have you ever been to Guedelon ?

Feedback ? You want feedback ? Don't back down ! Sweat it out, it's glorious ! Once shaded, it'll be breathtaking !

Yey, that looks amazing already ! I can't wait to see the next steps ! No feedbacks for me : it's just great !

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Some linework test for the walls. It is time consuming, so I would like to wait for a possible feedback before going further if possible...
    I really like where this is going, but i'm not convinced by the lines thickness: they look a bit too variable in thickness, somehow innatural to my eye. Nothing too important, just a first-glance feeling.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast