Thread: Meropis - Land of Sword and Sorcery Adventure

Post Meropis - Land of Sword and Sorcery Adventure

I made this map for a swords-and-sorcery tabletop game that never quite got off the ground. All the same, it's the first overworld map I've ever made that I'm really proud of. Made entirely in Photoshop CS5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meropis.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	111995

The font for the map labels is IM FELL DW Pica PRO and the font for the title is Castile Inline Grunge.

I like the amount of detail you have put in this map! It is a shame your game never got of the ground, because it seems as if the world you would have set it in would have been very rich and detailed. I wonder whether the sand to the north and the grey overlay in the south mean that this land is situated south of the equator?

This is a really interesting map. It has a lot of character, and the white with blue oceans looks neat. The font selection is nice, too - really clean labels and a solid choice for the title. I'd recommend a couple of things:
    1. Check out the rivers tutorial. Basically, rivers should almost always join up, but not fork. There should only be one river that leaves a lake.
    2. I'd hit the borders with a blur so that they look a little nicer at higher zoom.
    3. This is pretty minor, but some of the mountains get close enough to the coast that the image of them crosses through the border and/or over the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
    I like the amount of detail you have put in this map! It is a shame your game never got of the ground, because it seems as if the world you would have set it in would have been very rich and detailed. I wonder whether the sand to the north and the grey overlay in the south mean that this land is situated south of the equator?
    That's exactly it. I like standing the fantasy convention of "barbarians from the frigid north" on its head, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by steelmccoy View Post
    This is a really interesting map. It has a lot of character, and the white with blue oceans looks neat. The font selection is nice, too - really clean labels and a solid choice for the title. I'd recommend a couple of things:
    1. Check out the rivers tutorial. Basically, rivers should almost always join up, but not fork. There should only be one river that leaves a lake.
    2. I'd hit the borders with a blur so that they look a little nicer at higher zoom.
    3. This is pretty minor, but some of the mountains get close enough to the coast that the image of them crosses through the border and/or over the water.
    Thanks for all this. I'll make sure to correct that if I ever get a chance to revisit this setting, and that rivers tutorial will definitely come in handy in the future. (I may have gotten a little lazy with the mountains at the end — at that point I already knew the campaign wasn't going to happen.)

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice!

I knew the River Police would jump on this though

Steelmccoy makes some excellent suggestions, but those aside, this is a very attractive map. Well done!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"