Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December 2018 Challenge: Budapest Christmas Market

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Yeah, IRL it's pinkish-red bricks and then cobblestone in the middle, around the statue; both are somewhat worn down because they're old. I went with the bricks as is because doing the whole ground in brick was waaaay too busy. I'm still trying to figure out how to best do the rest of the ground - see my question in the above WIP post.

Since no one else has made a suggestion yet,
    How about a cobblestone color with some texture and just enough lines
    to let the eye know that it's all supposed to be cobblestone. (Don't try to draw them all!)
    And snow near the buildings and stalls where it is hasn't been trampled down or swept away.

It's looking great and actually... I love this version of the bricks. Most of the maps are supposed to be symbolic rather than realistic, so it's not that shocking to me if you let the bricks as they are. If you really feel something is missing, maybe just add some nude linework around the current patches (some with colors maybe, but mostly without) to suggest they're everywhere if you, but personnally I'm not sure it's mandatory to change anything, as the map & border are well balanced and has a real charm already
    Name:  aeshnidae.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  10.2 KB

Thanks, guys! MistyBee, that's what I had sort of decided on because I just want to give the impression of bricks, but I feel better about that choice now! And thank you for including a picture - that's always helpful. I haven't faded my nude bricks yet but it's on my list, along with shading, re-drawing the patio umbrellas, working on the legend and some labels, etc. I welcome input on the snow. I think it's...okay. Again, I'm just going for the impression of snow.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xmas Market v6 (sm).jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	9.16 MB 
ID:	112273

I decided to try out a different look with the snow. Still have to fix the shading and work on the legend.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Xmas Market v7 (sm).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	7.96 MB 
ID:	112317

It is imazing how shading suddenly makes an illustration come alive!

This is looking excellent Jen!

It's gorgeous. I wasn't too sure about the bricks at first, but now I see them in a slightly more finished state, they look great.

I'm in the mood for some mulled wine now!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks, guys, I'm so glad you like it!

I think I'm calling this one done. I fixed the shading, fiddled with the legend, added numbers and some labels, and tweaked the snow a tad.

Like the title says, my challenge entry is a Christmas market in Budapest. There are several but the one at Vörösmarty tér (square) in downtown Budapest, on the Pest side, is my favorite. Every December, Vörösmarty tér transforms into a Christmas wonderland with nice market stalls up and down the square. There are way more items available than in my map, but I tried to get the essence of it.

When I visit with my family, we usually stay about 2 blocks south of the square on Váci utca (street), a pedestrian shopping area. My 101-year-old (!!!) cousin lives about 7 blocks to the north of the square. Café Gerbeaud, at the northern end of the square, is an enormous Parisian-style coffeehouse with delicious coffee, hot chocolate, sandwiches, and specialty pastries. The kürtoskalács cart (F5), at the south of the square, smells like heaven and sells kürtoskalács, or chimney cakes. They're lightly sweetened yeast dough that gets wrapped around a thick wooden rolling pin, roasted over hot coals, and then rolled in cinnamon sugar and crushed walnuts and slid off the pin, so they're a hollow cylinder of deliciousness.

This was hand-drawn in Photoshop on a Wacom Intuos Pro. The font is Harrington.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Xmas Market v9 (sm).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	8.14 MB 
ID:	112348
    Last edited by aeshnidae; 12-30-2018 at 07:11 PM.

I already told it but I have to say it again : I really love it. The general map has a charm, but I also love the colored parchment you recently added and are a lovely balance with the border
    Just... to be super picky... because I was curious and your map made me want to have a look to the real place ('can also be a cool idea for an upcoming travel ^^), I had a look to the satellite view for the place, and it's not oriented North/South as you compass suggest (did I already told you I love that compass ? Hmm... I'm not sure...). As the rest of the map is quite accurate, maybe you would want to edit this detail
    And while I'm here, I wish you a splendid New Year evening !!

Oh my goodness, thanks for catching that, Beee! I thought I had it marked as NW. Oops! And here I thought I'd be done with only 9 drafts, instead of my usual 10!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Re-posted so no one needs to scroll through: Like the title says, my challenge entry is a Christmas market in Budapest. There are several but the one at Vörösmarty tér (square) in downtown Budapest, on the Pest side, is my favorite. Every December, Vörösmarty tér transforms into a Christmas wonderland with nice market stalls up and down the square. There are way more items available than in my map, but I tried to get the essence of it.

When I visit with my family, we usually stay about 2 blocks south of the square on Váci utca (street), a pedestrian shopping area. My 101-year-old (!!!) cousin lives about 7 blocks to the north of the square. Café Gerbeaud, at the northern end of the square, is an enormous Parisian-style coffeehouse with delicious coffee, hot chocolate, sandwiches, and specialty pastries. The kürtoskalács cart (F5), at the south of the square, smells like heaven and sells kürtoskalács, or chimney cakes. They're lightly sweetened yeast dough that gets wrapped around a thick wooden rolling pin, roasted over hot coals, and then rolled in cinnamon sugar and crushed walnuts and slid off the pin, so they're a hollow cylinder of deliciousness.

This was hand-drawn in Photoshop on a Wacom Intuos Pro. The font is Harrington.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Xmas Market v11 (sm).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	8.14 MB 
ID:	112357

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12