Thread: Map making sites and programs

Help Map making sites and programs

Hello everyone,

There was a list of map making programs somewhere on here and I can't seem to find them. I tried installing, but my MacBook Pro seems to have an issue. I tried it again to see what was the issue so I can post it on here, but it was taking way too long. Can anybody provide the list of websites for me. This would be awesome!!! Thank you all in advance.

Jason Yarbrough

Hi Jason, I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but J.Edward wrote a couple of blog posts covering various software. Here's Part One (from 2015) and here's Part Two (from earlier this year). There's a huge variety of programs covered between those two posts. There's also this thread which stretches back to 2008. Hope something there helps you find what you need.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Is this the list you're referring to?

I also have a list of map-making programs here (scroll down a bit).
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Somebody recommended some "How To" books on creating fantasy maps and I found a software program that I feel comfortable with. I youtube tutorials on creating fantasy maps and I am going long hand and traditional ink and paper.

I love designing maps because I explore worlds that pretty much draw themselves!!!

Yes!!! This most certainly helped and is the list I was looking for. I can't wait to post my maps as I explore different styles until I find my voice in world making!!! I am new here and trying to make friends as well.

Helpful. Thanks for sharing, all.