Thread: Well, hey there

Default Well, hey there

Hi everyone,

New member here. I'm a long-time D&D geek and currently a grad student in astronomy, which leaves less free time than I'd like to admit. I'm about to run a game for my wife and our two best friends. All female party and I'm pretty excited. I recently acquired some mapmaking software one evening after one too many wine...

Back when I started DMing I made a world map following the AD&D 2e World Builder's Guidebook. It was a hot mess. Now I want to start small and work my way out. Hoping to get some inspiration and advice from the pros here.

-Chris

Lots of newcomers recently - great to see new faces! Welcome MightyCristof! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyCristof View Post
    Hi everyone,

New member here. I'm a long-time D&D geek and currently a grad student in astronomy, which leaves less free time than I'd like to admit. I'm about to run a game for my wife and our two best friends. All female party and I'm pretty excited. I recently acquired some mapmaking software one evening after one too many wine...

Back when I started DMing I made a world map following the AD&D 2e World Builder's Guidebook. It was a hot mess. Now I want to start small and work my way out. Hoping to get some inspiration and advice from the pros here.

-Chris
    Welcome!

My advice: start from the basis. That is, the whole planet structure and orbital parameters. It might be a bit less "fantasy" but with your background it's definitely delightful to do. I'm a physicist and i had more fun in that part than anything else, probably.