Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Village & similar drawings

Wip Village & similar drawings

A while ago i've started another thread for a large town drawing - a few days later, university started again, limiting my free time to a level on which i can not handle drawing a large town within a reasonable amount of time (and being able to draw like two houses per day would drive me crazy ). This is where the idea for this thread started - if i can't make large maps, why not just do small ones?

So i thought where i could begin, and i decided to continue where i ended last time - on my large medieval town map. There's not much in the background which is worth its own drawing, in fact there's only a tiny castle on a wooded hill ridge. This castle and its immediate surroundings however will become the first of what hopefully becomes a whole little series of maps, depicting a region around that mentioned town.

So now, let's start with the drawing finally... i'm not starting with the very beginning, but at a point where i already got a decent bit done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	4.80 MB 
ID:	112253

And this will be the final extent of this drawing.

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	112254

And to show the context as well, this is the tiny depiction of the castle in the older town drawing:

Name:	XXX.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	112255

Other drawings will include villages, hamlets, castles, monasteries and similar stuff, maybe also one or another small town if i have enough time for that.
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 12-27-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Update, the hamlet around the castle is now done:

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	112258

Along with this map, i decided to add some background story for the locations as well, which i have in fact considered before as well, but mainly for myself to get a realistic feeling for the maps. This will include place names, also for the town, which hasn't got any yet (and since i'm really bad with names, any suggestions are welcome ).

Now for the castle and hamlet:

KARNBERG

The castle of Karnberg was built originally during the first half of the 11th century, as one of the first fortified places of the upper hillsides which were settled shortly before. Its owners, the family of Karnberg belongs to the lesser nobility and was originally given the castle to control the lands of the Diocese of [town name placeholder]. Over the centuries they managed to become largely independent from the Diocese and to purchase some own land and belongings in the proximity of their castle. These efforts often led to conflicts with adjecent powers, mainly the benedictine monastery of [town name placeholder], which culminated in a feud in the 1370's during which the monastery was sacked by the troops of Karnberg, and the prompt reaction of the Bishop who then besieged, captured and destroyed the castle of Karnberg, leaving only the chapel intact. It was rebuilt shorty afterwards using the gothic style and strengthening the fortifications. The 15th century remained a relatively peaceful period, even though the old conflicts were never completely solved, but the gradual concentration of economical power in the towns reduced the financial ressources of both the monastery and the Karnberg family. As a result, the extension of the castle's hamlet came to an early stop, leaving it as a small settlement with a tavern and an oversized church that reminds trespassers of the once ambitious plans for Karnberg.

PS: I'm not sure if i'll keep doing this

PPS: This is the monastery mentioned in the castle's description

Name:	Kloster.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	342.8 KB 
ID:	112260
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 12-27-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Very nice fable style.

You really have a great talent for doing those excellent towns & castles. I'm loving those.

Many thanks to both of you, i‘m really glad you like the drawing!

Just as usual for me, progress slows down a lot after the first few days, still i got a few new things to show today. The vast majority of the buildings is now done, making visible the second village at the bottom of the river valley. That village consists mainly of simple farmhouses, while the only two stone buildings are the chapel and the monastic grange built by the monastery mentioned in the text before. Both are seen as a provocation by the Karnberg family and are therefore a major point of conflict.

Name:	23FB023A-19EB-4576-8B99-EACE7C7E1E17.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	112286

Last one before the watercolouring, next one will either be me having ruined it or the finished drawing.

Name:	F558E932-78FE-4C87-8C00-5948549F5345.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	112327

The drawing is done, i haven't decided yet whether to add a decorative border to this one as well or not. A better image will come later, along with the result of my decision-making and a finished map thread.

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	112337

Beautiful work!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Awesome work! Really, what else can I say? A look at the images on this thread only has inspired me like hell!

Damn, so many nice words again Thanks a lot to you, ChickPea and MapMappingMapped!

I'm actually planning to make this a small "worldbuilding" series, drawing a whole set of villages and stuff. I haven't got to the point yet though where i want to do a proper region map, but that may come as well in the future - i just have to develop another style for it

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast