Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Domhantyr World Map

Congratz finishing this one. It turnd out splendid. Amaizing amount of details around the gorgeous map. You did well with the colours and the corner human illustrations are just a blast for me!

Sorry for no rep, have to spread love among others first
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, that is astounding work. So much information, so well mapped and displayed. Great job, bro!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

this is gorgeous, though I don't think marking Occident and Orient on a world map like this makes much sense, unless I;m misunderstanding something.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

An amazing piece of work here! The map truly shows a piece of work that really inspires me to do large scale maps like this! I'll be back with some rep!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

First of all, this map is amazing. The level of detail is staggering. The hemispherical design makes a lot of sense, and all the little bits of lore and art that surround it are very interesting and beautiful too. The maps themselves are of course gorgeous.
    I will say this, though: I find the font size, both in and around the maps, is too small for my taste. I can barely read the map labels and the nation names on the scrolls. The names next to the colored circles (which I think are ethnic groups?) are almost illegible. I don't think it'd hurt the map composition to enlarge the font, if just slightly.
    Also, I'm having some difficulty understanding the two small central maps. Do they in fact show ethnic or racial groupings? A label that explains what are supposed to represent would've been nice.
    But overall, an incredible map, very much worthy of all of the awards and praise and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    ...I don't think marking Occident and Orient on a world map like this makes much sense...
    I'll allow myself to explain on Ilanthar's behalf: the words 'occident' and 'orient' in their original Latin meanings simply referred to the part of the sky where the sun set and rose, respectively, so essentially just 'west' and 'east'. Later the words came to be used in a geopolitical/cultural context of 'Western' and 'Eastern' countries, specifically Europe and the Middle and/or Far East. I'd say using the words in their original, , meaning makes perfect sense on any kind of world map.

A beautiful map indeed! I love it! The style of the border is intricately delicious, as are the mountains. Yum.

I just love that overall mapping style. So no wonder i do love this map. I wish we could see the full-res. Is there a place to read up on the world itself? I'm curious.

Now that i think about it...didn't you start a WIP for this map here? Did i miss the progress on that WIP or didn't you post progress updates?

Anyway, a beautiful map, no question. And the little art-pieces just give it so much more depth and flavor (although i do love me some maps-only versions as well ). If i can, I'll Rep. you (but it might be too early).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Tragedy of tragedies it's not letting me rep you for this map Great to see the final finished version of the map, it is a real stunner!

OK... I'm gonna need at least two posts for answers, thanks a lot for the praise, guys!

By - JO -
    So beautiful and so much detailed ! What a work !!!
    Merci beaucoup Joël !

By Galendae
    Map of the Year for 2018? I know it influenced me and gave me great inspiration! Absolutely love it. Awesome job Ilanthar!
    PS If I could Rep you I would.
    Thanks, Galendae ! Well, time will tell.

By Abu Lafia
    I said it over on Twitter already: A true Masterpiece Ilanthar! I agree with Galendae, i bet it'll rank high in the Atlas Awards (That the map deserves a Cartographer's Choice Award seems so obvious to me, i'm not sure it needs to be mentioned... ) Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us!
    Thanks a lot! You're almost making me blush .

By Naima
    Uff can't rep again... beautifull work.
    No worries, thanks for your kind comment Naima !

By J.Edward
    What a gorgeous monster of a piece.
    That's going to take some time to explore.
    Just so much good stuff in this one.
    I have to spread some rep, but I will return.
    Thanks a lot, John. I'm really glad you enjoy this one .

By Greason Wolfe
    A very kind and smart artist in my opinion. This looks fantastic!!! And I've got some REP to spare.
    Thanks a lot, Wolfe!

By Kellerica
    I'll have to echo everyone else: this is a bloody masterpiece, Il. Truly superb work, I can only imagine how long it took. I could stare at this frame work all day!
    Edit: Argh, out of rep!! I'll be back!
    It took time, for sure (and more time than I expected for the coloring). Thanks a lot Kellerica!

By Schwarzkreuz
    This is a work of splendor. I cant take my eyes off this border/frames.... O__O
    Thanks, SK ! Hope you'll take a look at the map, though .

By Wired
    Indeed, this is truly beautiful, Ilanthar!
    Thanks, Wired !

By Voolf
    Congratz finishing this one. It turnd out splendid. Amaizing amount of details around the gorgeous map. You did well with the colours and the corner human illustrations are just a blast for me!
    Sorry for no rep, have to spread love among others first
    Thanks a lot, Rafal! It took me some time to think and do those illustrations. And some (partly failed) have been changed near the end.

By Diamond
    Wow, that is astounding work. So much information, so well mapped and displayed. Great job, bro!
    Glad you like it, D! I'm still laughing from your rep comment . Thanks a lot.

By Vorropohaiah
    this is gorgeous, though I don't think marking Occident and Orient on a world map like this makes much sense, unless I;m misunderstanding something.
    Thanks! The Oriens/Occidens thing is inspired from an old map I have on one of my walls (that I partly took as an exemple for this one), and more for eastern/western countries in a cultural way.

By Arimel
    An amazing piece of work here! The map truly shows a piece of work that really inspires me to do large scale maps like this! I'll be back with some rep!
    Thanks a lot, Arimel! And looking forward to see a large scale map from you .

By Daelin
    First of all, this map is amazing. The level of detail is staggering. The hemispherical design makes a lot of sense, and all the little bits of lore and art that surround it are very interesting and beautiful too. The maps themselves are of course gorgeous.
    I will say this, though: I find the font size, both in and around the maps, is too small for my taste. I can barely read the map labels and the nation names on the scrolls. The names next to the colored circles (which I think are ethnic groups?) are almost illegible. I don't think it'd hurt the map composition to enlarge the font, if just slightly.
    Also, I'm having some difficulty understanding the two small central maps. Do they in fact show ethnic or racial groupings? A label that explains what are supposed to represent would've been nice.
    But overall, an incredible map, very much worthy of all of the awards and praise and stuff.
    Thanks, Daelin! Yeah, the text is a bit small, especially on this version at 66% of the original. The two small views are displaying the great cultural areas (so a bit less precise than "ethnic groups").

By MapMappingMapped
    A beautiful map indeed! I love it! The style of the border is intricately delicious, as are the mountains. Yum.
    Thanks, MMM!

By Eilathen
    I just love that overall mapping style. So no wonder i do love this map. I wish we could see the full-res. Is there a place to read up on the world itself? I'm curious.
    Now that i think about it...didn't you start a WIP for this map here? Did i miss the progress on that WIP or didn't you post progress updates?
    Anyway, a beautiful map, no question. And the little art-pieces just give it so much more depth and flavor (although i do love me some maps-only versions as well ). If i can, I'll Rep. you (but it might be too early).
    Well, there's my Tipeee, but it's in french. I think I spare some details here and there around the old map or other maps in the same world and posted here.
    There wasn't truly a WIP for this one, just some posts in my Sketches & Tests thread.
    And thanks !

By QED42
    Tragedy of tragedies it's not letting me rep you for this map Great to see the final finished version of the map, it is a real stunner!
    No worries, QED42! Your kind comment is enough, thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast