Thread: Printable Tabletop Mapping Kit (One Continuous Mouse Drag for Dungeon, Optional Grid)

Default Printable Tabletop Mapping Kit (One Continuous Mouse Drag for Dungeon, Optional Grid)

I made a free "subtractive" tileset for Tiled Map Editor. This means you can load the example and start drawing, and theoretically make an entire dungeon in one mouse drag. Judging from YouTube tutorials, Tiled Map Editor is much more powerful than people realize, because they only do single blocks doing no terrain blending except manually. I knew about Tiled Map Editor, but I used the old Warcraft III World Editor, because of its great terrain drawing. I wanted nice looking maps, not perfectly square blocks nor manual transitions, so I wasn't willing to use Tiled for tabletop maps. I recently was excited to found out that Tiled also has a similar algorithmic terrain drawing feature (most other Tiled tutorials on YouTube I have found just draw block by block). This means you can draw terrain and the program will automatically place edge&corner transition blocks, blending between two types of terrain at a time.

To push the functionality even further, I made a "subtractive" tileset, so as you draw, the ground and grid (both toggled separately as layers) are revealed. I plan to make optional fancy walls using swappable tileset images, and you can use your own ground texture (repeating or continuous) using normal features of Tiled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ptmk-screenshot-small.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	112278
    This resource is 100% free and open source (so is Tiled).
    To download, go to project page, then "Clone or download," "Download ZIP."
    It requires Tiled Map Editor.

I would really enjoy seeing what you do with it if you reply here.

I made a video series to explain why I made it this way and how to make color maps with different shapes and textures: Printable Tabletop Mapping Kit Playlist on YouTube.