Thread: Whats the difference between Ocean and Sea?

Guild Novice
    Somewhere on a small blue planet, where it snows, rains and hails most of the year.

Question Whats the difference between Ocean and Sea?

As I was redoing my map, I saw that ALL of my bodies of water wer labled Sea this, Sea that. And now I am like, wait, aren't those supposed to be oceans? How do I know where an ocean is and were a sea is? I think I used to have some difference. For example, Draco's Cove let out to North Gui Sea, which laid between the contenent and an island, with a bigger body of water to the east.

Do I need oceans? Its an entire world, and fairly large. I've turned this more accurate as time has gone on and I'd like to get it right.

Can Seas be okay, or are oceans a must?

You could skip it altogether and just give them names without mentioning Sea or Ocean I suspect.

However, using "Google" and searching "difference between Ocean and Sea" resulted in this nice explanation: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...and-a-sea.html.

I doesn't look like you need to worry about it much.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt