Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *** January 2019 Challenge: Map A Dystopia ***

This sounds amazing! Not sure if i'll find the time though (or directing the time spent into actual drawing...it wouldn't be the first challenge that ends with me being still in the "research phase" XD ).

Quote Originally Posted by timallen View Post
    This sounds like a great challenge. I would like to say one thing though; a dystopia usually refers to a society and not just to a physical area. a typical definition is "... a community or society that is undesirable or frightening." So, I think something like the ruins of a city or world would by classified more as a post-apocalyptic style map than a dystopian one.
    In some way i agree with you but i want to mention that at least all the classical literary "utopias" (from Morus and Bacon to Andreae or Campanella) were all very centered around the description of the actual place (=topos), usually a kind of ideal city, were the stories took place. Ofc the societal and technological visions went hand in hand with it For the dystopias "place" is at least still in the name (i have no real clue about classical greek though) and in my view in many of them the relation between architecture/ urban planning (spatial configurations in general ... ) and the character of the described society plays a big role.
    Well as Azelor said, in general it's not too easy to classify certain works into proper genres, especially if they are often in some ways overlapping like dystopian and post-apocalyptic ones. I bet in the end noone would say something like "I'd give it my vote, but this looks more like a pure post-apocalyptical map without enough dystopian flair to it!"

Looking forward to see the first entries!

Btw.: Neo Tokyo sounds awesome! Thanks for the article link it was a great read (and view)... well, mentioning Moebius only as the "creator of sci-fi comics like the Silver Surfer who also produced concept art for Alien, The Fifth Element and The Abyss" is a bit of a personal sacrileg to me XD... i mean y'all know Bob Dylan "who is known for the soundtrack of the movie Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and as a member of the band Traveling Wilburys ... (ok, that's a pretty poor comparison...i'll stop now)
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Well you don't necessarily have to make a map of a physical thing, you could map a societal dystopia showing the relationships between classes power structures etc. perhaps highlighting the things or mechanisms which cause it to be a dystopia? If that was your kinda bag.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

"Utopia is no where, yet Dystopia can be anywhere"

That was the title of my thesis in Arthistory

I try to get into this but I think rather late than early.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just a friendly reminder: there's about six days left in this month's challenge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12