Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones map

Default Game of Thrones map

Hi.... in April the final season of Game of thrones will be arriving ... and I guess everyone knows how important is the map of the world in that series....
    So much that its even featured in a splendid intro...

how about a strange challenge where partecipants post their GOT map ? Or even simply tied to it? From the whole world map , to a Westrros one or even a city ?

Just an idea ...

Yes, or post a map how how you think the series will end.

Some people might find the suggestion too specific.

I find it too specific personally. Also whilst the map in the opening sequence is one of the most awesome things ever, all the actual maps for GOT world are... garbage (even the ones prettied up by an adept hand).

Lol ... why garbage? I saw some really cool ones... the only criticism I could rise is to the originals as to me make little sense geologically in many features.

The features, the plainness, the blockiness of the landmass. It's clearly a land made up of deus ex machina conveniences to serve the story, which is fine, but it makes for an ugly map, especially when so clearly just hacked together. The worst of them by far is Westoros but the lands to the east aren't much better. I've also seen some really well done examples of GOT maps, but putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it any less of a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    The features, the plainness, the blockiness of the landmass. It's clearly a land made up of deus ex machina conveniences to serve the story, which is fine, but it makes for an ugly map, especially when so clearly just hacked together. The worst of them by far is Westoros but the lands to the east aren't much better. I've also seen some really well done examples of GOT maps, but putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make it any less of a pig.
    Hey Falconius, I have the same feeling about this map, geologically speaking. But I have to say that it's seems to be just a rough sketch used to serve the story which is really much better structured. There would be other remarks to make on the incongruity of the so much different noble houses on such a small surface of earth and the little importance made in the narration for the economical structures necessary to feed all these warlike people ...
    How about making a new GOT map that take all this elements in consideration ?

I will have to agree with Falconius and Warlin, the Song of Ice and Fire maps definitely leave a lot to be desired... There have been some talented artists taking a stab at it, but Falc's lipstick & pig analogy is spot on. I don't think I could ever be bothered to actually map the place myself, the 90 degree angle between the west and east would drive me completely bonkers
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I like the book and series, but i also feel like this map was covered already by many good artist. That kind of challange is too specific and for real GOT mianiac lovers only.
    I am not saying no to the challange, Maybe there will be enough people having fun with this, but personally i would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius
    I think it's a bit too harsh to say that, but i understand and respect your opinion.
    but...
    Maps don't have to be pretty. They are representation of a land that formed over the course of milliard years. Due to various factors the land is shaped in unexpected way, sometimes even unbelievable (just because we don't understand how it was formed). People are so prone to say, "that dosen't exist" just because they have never seen it before. Our experience in lands formation ends on Earth and couple images from other close solar system planets. Considering whole space out there... that is pretty small knowledge.

In addition as always in FANTASY world maps dragons and magic are always fine, but a river going upstream is not. i really don't understand the logic here
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    In addition as always in FANTASY world maps dragons and magic are always fine, but a river going upstream is not. i really don't understand the logic here
    For me, the key is reason and effort.

The map, to me, is a story within itself. And the good basic rule of storytelling is that you should be able to tell what purpose a thing serves to the narrative, and give it a reason for doing so. I have no problem with a river running upstream, if the creator of the map has set up some sort of a reason for it to exist ("A rivers runs upwards the hill, into a garden where a quirky demi-god once lived, who enjoyed creating things that defy the very laws of nature. Even the master of the garden is long gone, the magic of his creation still lingers..." etc.). A fantasy world doesn't necessarily have to follow flawless Earth logic, but it needs to follow a consistent logic of its own in order to feel believable. I'm willing to buy an awful lot of unrealistic stuff as long as it has been set up in a logical fashion. But there is a big difference between well thought-out fantasy weirdness, and just explaining your lazy worldbuilding away with "eh, it's magic, it doesn't have to make sense".

And just for the record, I think the same does apply to dragons and magic and the other typical fantasy stuff as well as geological inconsistencies. Don't just lazily drop dragons into your world for the sake of having dragons, if they add absolutely nothing to the narrative of the world.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Haha... thats brutal... but to be honest checking most of the fantasy maps the majority of them make no sense if we go nitpicking.
    To make an example in westeros map the green fork river comes out of a plain or a marsh.. but willing to find an explanation ... it could be not a river but a long fault ... so finding some natural reasons may be could be interesting.

As for shape I think with the proper reasoning it could have som reason...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westeros.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	112775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast