Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clan Lands of Qrüché

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    One word answer: Photoshop. Well, okay, and practice, I suppose. But thanks!
    Hehe, but there is billons of way to use Photoshop. It's what I use for my maps too and they're definitely not the same than yours

Very fine work, Daelin, as per usual . It has a sense of vast emptyness appropriate for a desertic region and an opposing land vs waters that I like.
    The carved in effect of the lines in the ocean works also very well.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Canvas size. ...
    4000 x 5000 pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    ...there is billons of way to use Photoshop. ...
    True. To explain exactly how I made the map, I would have to make a tutorial, but that's not gonna happen. All I say is, I don't use any particularly advanced PS tools or techniques. A lot of the fine detail comes from textures that I've found, like the sand and water is all texture, and simple techniques like drawing the mountains and forests which is just adding a bevel effect to a texture and then drawing in a layer mask (see Tear's legendary tutorial). I use a lot of layer styles, as well, like drop shadows, outer/inner glow, gradient overlays, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very fine work, Daelin, as per usual ...
    *Awkward strained embarrassed I-don't-take-compliments-well kinda smile*

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Hehe, but there is billons of way to use Photoshop. It's what I use for my maps too and they're definitely not the same than yours
    It's more of a layer/brush styles type of drawing. You use a lot of nice textures, you apply a lot of effects, retouch etc. There is less traditional drawing, more procedural work, although i may be wrong, since i don't know the exact way Daelin makes his maps...

That being said, it's spectacular work Daelin, as always. I love it.
    The sharpness looks very nice on the land, i would lower it on the sea though (but that is just personal preference).
    The cities illustrations are perfect addition.
    I especially love the southern part Lower Badlans. The darker hills there looks crazy awesome.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it even if I knew how you did it but it is marvelous !

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    It's more of a layer/brush styles type of drawing. You use a lot of nice textures, you apply a lot of effects, retouch etc. There is less traditional drawing, more procedural work, although i may be wrong, since i don't know the exact way Daelin makes his maps...

That being said, it's spectacular work Daelin, as always. I love it. ...
    You're absolutely right, I try to make PS do as much of the work for me as possible. Very little of the map is drawn by me, but the shape of the rivers, mountains, and grass/forests are. Their design, or how they "look" is purely textures, layers styles, and various other PS filters and effects. That's kinda the magic of Photoshop, even if you don't know how to draw with a pen/tablet, if you know PS, it can make some cool-looking stuff for you.
    Also, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it even if I knew how you did it but it is marvelous !
    Lies. Nothing but dirty, no-good, filthy lies. Watch this if you don't belive, you can do it.

Lies. Nothing but dirty, no-good, filthy lies. Watch this if you don't belive, you can do it.
    Haha. Thank you for sharing this. That song just became my #1.
    "We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents", haha oh man love it
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

One word answer: Photoshop. Well, okay, and practice, I suppose. But thanks!

The sand might be. I found the texture with a Google image search, so I'm not sure. The rocks/mountain, not at all. I drew those myself.

First off, thank you. Second, and I hesitate to admit this, but I did not draws those myself... not entirely, anyway. You see, I... I can't draw, so instead I... uh, borrow other people's work. I search the net for all kinds of stuff, like big drawings or concept art pieces, down to tiny things like cool-looking sci-fi/fantasy icons, and I rework those heavily to fit into my maps. Not just this one, but I've done this with a few other of my maps, for example my Wyrmenwaerve map. I know this might be considered "cheating", but as you can see, I do not claim all these pieces of art that I include in my maps as my own. And professional artist do this all the time, especially with concept art, so I guess it's okay, right? Anyway, to answer your question, you can find the original works by googling "fantasy desert city" or similar, or going on Pinterest and search with the same terms.

Thank you. Who knew that (essentially) clicking Filter->Sharpen->Sharpen in Photoshop can make such a difference?

In terms of file-size, pixel dimensions or real life? And thanky.
    Well they look very well balanced with each other so that look like coherent with the rest , .

You gave me a good laugh with that video, thanks

Guild Novice

Love this map! What font is this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast