Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clan Lands of Qrüché

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default Clan Lands of Qrüché

As that wisest of sages once said: "Another one".
    No truer words were spoken, because here's another map. So, what's there to say about this one? It's got some mountains, a few trees, a bit of water, and a heck of a lot of sand. Sand everywhere. And you know how Anakin Skywalker feels about sand. Okay, I'll stop now.
    For this map, I wanted a different feel, a bit more crispness. So after building all the usual stuff I put in my maps, I ran it through a series of adjustments and sharpened it up. I hope you like the result as much as me, because I feel like it adds a, well, sharpness to the map. I should note, though, the sharpness doesn't come across that well in the version of the map you're seeing, because, like most of my maps, I had to upload it to the CG in a less-than-prime quality jpg, to get under the guild's limit for file sizes.
    Being that the scene is set in a desert, the culture is based on the Middle-east, but also fantasy, of course, and this should be reflected in the names and capital inserts.

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qrüché_lower_quality.jpg 
Views:	1570 
Size:	9.34 MB 
ID:	112907  
    Last edited by Daelin; 01-26-2019 at 04:27 PM.

I certainly see the crispiness

I really enjoy the water treatment here. The texture and the coastline waves look amazing. The same goes for the wastelands as well. I'm a little less fond of the overall tone in general. I don't know if it's just my screen, but the greenery has a little sickly hue to it, and I think the forests are maybe a tad more blocky than yours usually are.

Even so, it's so very clearly a Daelin map I can't help but admire it!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I don't know if it's just my screen, but the greenery has a little sickly hue to it, and I think the forests are maybe a tad more blocky than yours usually are.

Even so, it's so very clearly a Daelin map I can't help but admire it!
    I think I know what you mean about the "sickly hue". I was trying to get a very dry feel to the grass, so the green is muted and slanted towards red-ish. Maybe that's it. The same is true for the trees, and I used the gradient tool to add reds and yellows and off-greens, but that's more a genre choice, since in fantasy trees are often not natural colors.
    And thank you!

Wow... this map just looks epic. I have absolutely no clue about how you made it, and it's usually not the style of map I love, but I'm 100% convinced.

Hmm, nice. Reminds me of the old Fallout 1 & 2 maps. Did you use satellite images for the sandy/rocky bits?

Very Beautifull , but its a pity that the so much detailed cities cannpt be seen in larger detail, doyou have links to those paintings you did for the cities to appreciate them more? They are really great !

Whoa, the sharpness is really unique and interesting effect! I especially love how it looks on the oceans.

Very cool map! It feels so huge. How big is it? Great work as always.

Cheers,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    ...I have absolutely no clue about how you made it ... but I'm 100% convinced.
    One word answer: Photoshop. Well, okay, and practice, I suppose. But thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian.Eichhorn View Post
    Did you use satellite images for the sandy/rocky bits?
    The sand might be. I found the texture with a Google image search, so I'm not sure. The rocks/mountain, not at all. I drew those myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Very Beautifull ... doyou have links to those paintings you did for the cities to appreciate them more? ...
    First off, thank you. Second, and I hesitate to admit this, but I did not draws those myself... not entirely, anyway. You see, I... I can't draw, so instead I... uh, borrow other people's work. I search the net for all kinds of stuff, like big drawings or concept art pieces, down to tiny things like cool-looking sci-fi/fantasy icons, and I rework those heavily to fit into my maps. Not just this one, but I've done this with a few other of my maps, for example my Wyrmenwaerve map. I know this might be considered "cheating", but as you can see, I do not claim all these pieces of art that I include in my maps as my own. And professional artist do this all the time, especially with concept art, so I guess it's okay, right? Anyway, to answer your question, you can find the original works by googling "fantasy desert city" or similar, or going on Pinterest and search with the same terms.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    Whoa, the sharpness is really unique and interesting effect! ...
    Thank you. Who knew that (essentially) clicking Filter->Sharpen->Sharpen in Photoshop can make such a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    ... How big is it? Great work as always. ...
    In terms of file-size, pixel dimensions or real life? And thanky.

Canvas size. Again splendid work! Very inspirational.

Cheers,
    Karl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast