Thread: Dec ‘18/Feb ‘19 Lite Challenge: Aigolos Cave

Post Dec ‘18/Feb ‘19 Lite Challenge: Aigolos Cave

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aigolos Cave V1.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	112918

Map Software: Inkscape

The maps pretty simple but it was fun to work on! My first run at using Inkscape*

Good to see you in the challenge Derek. Nice map too, I really like the organic shapes to the caves and the strong contrast in colours.

I agree, I like the shape of the caves. The outer cave walls are much to thin, ok for the purposes of game play, but hard to visualize it as being part of the hillside. If you made the walls an inch thick it would look more realistic.
    Welcome to the Challenge Derek!
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-27-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree, I like the shape of the caves. The outer cave walls are much to thin, ok for the purposes of game play, but hard to visualize it as being part of the hillside. If you made the walls an inch thick it would look more realistic.
    Welcome to the Challenge Derek!
    Thicker walls on the outer cave walls make sense. And that would improve the division between rooms 1 and 2 (right now the wall between is pretty thin)

Did it come across that the wispy cyan/light blue lines are supposed to be fissures providing light? Upon looking again, they kinda look like wind (if you could see wind...) I'd have done torches on the walls, but figured I'd try the biolumenescent streaks out (Don't quote me on how to spell that. I'm not 100% sure how to do torch lighting in inkscape).

I must admit I did think it was wind / airflow. Unfortunately I don't know inkscape so I can't offer any direct suggestions, but it looks like the cyan lines have a fade to them. If you can create fades, then you might be able to use that to create pools of light fading from the braziers.

Yeah, I kinda have to second PG on the wispy lines. Does Inkspace offer any equivalent to Photoshop's Outer Glow effect? Using a light, almost white line surrounded by strong glow in a tad darker color (in this case, maybe blue) usually gets you a nice illusion of light emanating from the line.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Artisan

Nice clean lines. Very well put together. I like the choice of font also, goes well with the map.

Default Dec '18 / Feb '19 Lite Challenge: Aigolos Cave

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aigolos Cave V2.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	113207

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Couple of updates on this one,

The walls were thickened, and torches were added.

Nice improvements.