Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Sundown Cities

I prefer the darker, grungier one. It fits better with the mood you are setting for this map. Plus, it gives it a more... authentic... feel to it. And old world, antique feel that works well with the theme you are putting together.

Awesome concept by the way!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Personally, I prefer the darker one. But I also think it's a bit too early to be sure how it will affect the final map.

If I may make a suggestion: one thing you could try to evoke the sunset theme is not exactly make the map darker, but throw in some sunset-like hues: reds, oranges and purples. Like a sunset on the Serengeti.

Are you planning on showing light/darkness on the map (which areas are perpetually sunset, which are late afternoon, which are early night etc.)?

Overall, looking really good with some very interesting story-telling and lore

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

OH MAN!, You are going fast with it. It is looking absolutely awesome already. I like the darker theme. Fits better with the lore, and it looks better imo.
    And the lore... love it.

You said it will be unfinished at the beginning... keep that in mind would ya.... (haha i haven't even started mine yet ;(, just being sad and pathetic here)
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Okay, 2 votes for grunge so far. Anyone else?

@Wingshaw: I may add in some sunset hues, but probably not, since I want to use a lot of the palette Voolf gave me, which won't be too harmonious with a lot of red stuff. We'll see.

edit: 3 votes

@Voolf: I'm not working for two solid weeks, so most of that time will be devoted to this. And sleeping. And catching up on Netflix shows.
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-05-2019 at 10:50 PM.

I'm a vote for the grunge too...
    It's looking great! What a cool concept to work with! You are also getting it done so quickly, I feel like I've fallen behind and I just started working on mine...

THE. DARKER. ONE.

Seriously, need you even ask?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

The lighter one for me. Yes. 'cause I'm crazy like that.

Well, despite Beee's dissenting vote, I decided to go with the darker version, at least for now. I did away with the coastal stroke/decoration, added some Kellerica-style waves instead, and did a crosshatch pattern along the shoreline (which may need to be lightened further). Also added mountains, which will be blended more effectively with the ground - I'm going to add hills too, so that'll help. Not happy with the rivers. Will redo those for sure. Also did a label/text test run...

I'm drifting away from Voolf's color palette, sorry!

More lore:

GUILDS

During the Sundown and the years after, most of the nobility of the coastal kingdoms were deposed. Many retained their wealth but gave up their titles, but many more were exiled or killed. The cities of the region each have a Lord Protector, elected for a term of 10 years by each city's Guild Council. The Guilds (along with the Church of Ao) are the true power in the region. There are usually five Great Guilds in each city: those of the Arbiters (lawyers and judges), Moneychangers, Doctors and Alchemists, Farmers, and Furriers. Among the lesser guilds are those for bakers, saddle makers, ironworkers and other artisans. They have sizable memberships, but lack the political and social standing necessary to influence city affairs. Each guild holds a monopoly on trade in its craft within the city in which it operates: handicraft workers are forbidden by law to run any business if they are not members of a guild, and only those who can demonstrate journeyman status by a test of ability and documentation of their rank are allowed to be guild members. Each city is run de facto by its Guild Council, a panel of the leaders of the Five Great Guilds, who 'advise' the Lord Protector. Most guilds of rival cities are at least cordial to one another; the main exception is the Farmer's Guild, whose more radical members have been known to burn the fields and sabotage the farm sunstones of rival cities in times of political unrest.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SundownCities3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1,011.9 KB 
ID:	113148  

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    THE. DARKER. ONE.

Seriously, need you even ask?
    You and your darkness. Your maps, I mean!!

Not just the maps, necessarily...

BOW BEFORE YOUR DARK MISTRESS, PUNY MORTAL!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast