Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Kanoba

Great work! Lovely to see that style of yours... Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'm doing the wip update in a separate post so it's easier to share on social media.
    I had several update pics, but they need resizing and it's nearly 2am here and I need to go to bed.
    So just the most current update for now. Yawns.
    This is going to be a cool map. I'm really getting into parts of this.
    I think it's because it's so local. There's a grid that you can't really see, cus it's so faint.
    But this is much closer in that most maps I do, so I can show more terrain features.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attachment 113180
    Haa so beautifull , love the mountains and the river traits ...
    What font is the one of the Title ? or you created it by yourself? Looks very nice .

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    That is it, I am out. All of that line work in one day... damn you and you metal music that give you strength to do these wonders....
    Oddly, this work was done sitting around listening to Neil Gaiman talking about writing.
    I just spent a really long time on it. And it did go faster than I expected.
    I thought it would take several days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I guess my players won’t want to play with my version anymore �� I cannot wait to see the volcanoes ! Dunno if the personnal part of this rings in me but, while you know I love your work, I think this one is a step higher. Or maybe it’s just seeing it develop.
    Now it feels like a real commission.... I'm sitting here like.. what volcanoes?
    Now I have to redraw stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'm with V. I hate you so much right now.
    Not really sure how to respond there..
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It's so funny to me when the people that automatically think they're out after seeing a good map are as good as that person themselves. coughKellcoughcoughVoolf

But yeah. This is pure awesome, J. I can't wait to see you lay some color in this bad boy.
    People have this idea that I always win, and I don't.
    And there are a lot of other awesome mappers in this thing.
    They will have the advantage of seeing what is done early, and knowing what they are up against.
    If that's what the angle is.

I'm just glad to be in a big challenge with a bunch of other mapmakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    hey, with all of you in this challenge, I knew I didn't stand a chance, anyway! lol At the same time, you all inspire me to step up, which helps me get better, and that's why I'm here!

J.Edward, your work is fantastic as always, and I especially love the blue palette you are workig with!
    Thanks Storm. The blue will probably change some, as Thomas wanted a Harlasea thing..
    I'm assuming he wanted stronger, bolder colors.
    If people notice on my wip threads, I have this tendency to start with a similar blue for some reason.
    It's not intentional. It just happens. I always go with a lighter blue. This one is done over a canvas layer,
    so it's set to multiply, which maybe makes it a bit darker than my usual starting blue color.
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Great work! Lovely to see that style of yours... Yum.
    Thanks MMM
    Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Haa so beautifull , love the mountains and the river traits ...
    What font is the one of the Title ? or you created it by yourself? Looks very nice .
    Thanks Naima
    It's just a hand drawn title for Kanoba.
    The 'La Marche de' part is done with Baldur font.
    There's some line work over top as well, which needs a bit of contrast, it seems.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: kick-ass typography on the map title! Looks fantastic!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I remember when you drew Harlasea being, first, demotivated, then pouring more than 90 hours of work in my Desert Hound piece and I finished fifth behind you heavy hitters and that’s all because your awesome maps gave me the push I needed to go above and beyond. And, to be fair, the volcanoes are on the first sketch ��

Great map John, looks wonderful.

I did see one problem though, in the upper middle, where the crease has created some holes in the paper,
    all the water in that little lake it touches is going to drain right out of the paper.

Your map is just... Awesome. Seriously. Did you sleep sometimes ? I didn't still find time to open my photoshop and you did.... This. Look at this mountains ? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Oddly, this work was done sitting around listening to Neil Gaiman talking about writing.
    I just spent a really long time on it. And it did go faster than I expected.
    I thought it would take several days.
    Oh, Gaiman! I haven't read anything from him for a long time. Last book i had, American Gods was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond
    It's so funny to me when the people that automatically think they're out after seeing a good map are as good as that person themselves. coughKellcoughcoughVoolf
    Well thank you. It's the urge and zeal to pursue for more and better things. Everyone's ability is different. I may be perceived as one of the best, but from my perspective i see better from others. I bet J.E. also has that feeling sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward
    People have this idea that I always win, and I don't.
    And there are a lot of other awesome mappers in this thing.
    They will have the advantage of seeing what is done early, and knowing what they are up against.
    If that's what the angle is.
    You know i was joking, right? Kell most likely too
    Btw. Not always, but often and it is deserved. You are that good.
    I knew what people will take part in this challange and i know my chances are not so great competing with so many great artists here. Anyway, i am taking this challange because it's fun. If i can make it in time, that's a win for me

Quote Originally Posted by Onirian
    Did you sleep sometimes ?
    He doesn't. He is a robot
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to mention: kick-ass typography on the map title! Looks fantastic!
    That's often one of my favorite parts to do.
    There are times that I want to start making fonts... then I think better of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I remember when you drew Harlasea being, first, demotivated, then pouring more than 90 hours of work in my Desert Hound piece and I finished fifth behind you heavy hitters and that’s all because your awesome maps gave me the push I needed to go above and beyond. And, to be fair, the volcanoes are on the first sketch ��
    With challenges, I always try hard not to think about the competition.
    Doesn't always work, but I try to just focus on what I'm doing.
    I was looking at the very first pics from your thread... and those don't show volcanoes. ;P
    It's all good. They got edited and are in there now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map John, looks wonderful.

I did see one problem though, in the upper middle, where the crease has created some holes in the paper,
    all the water in that little lake it touches is going to drain right out of the paper.
    You had me so worried there. I'm all like - oh no.. what did I miss
    Hehe, thanks Bogie
    Quote Originally Posted by Onirian View Post
    Your map is just... Awesome. Seriously. Did you sleep sometimes ? I didn't still find time to open my photoshop and you did.... This. Look at this mountains ? Awesome.
    Thanks Oni
    I work fast for various reasons.
    One, because I may not have time later
    two, i can lose motivation sometimes, so finishing big pieces faster helps me to finish them at all.
    three, sometimes I just work fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Oh, Gaiman! I haven't read anything from him for a long time. Last book i had, American Gods was quite good.

I bet J.E. also has that feeling sometimes.

You know i was joking, right? Kell most likely too
    Btw. Not always, but often and it is deserved. You are that good.
    I knew what people will take part in this challange and i know my chances are not so great competing with so many great artists here.
    Anyway, i am taking this challange because it's fun. If i can make it in time, that's a win for me

He doesn't. He is a robot
    Yes, yes, I know. I just sometimes feel like I shouldn't enter the challenges anymore.
    I don't like to see people stop just because I'm involved. Or say they will.
    I'm just a guild member, like everyone else. Better in some things, not in others.
    I just like being involved in the community.

I have to say, I'm lucky. My challenge was not so hard.
    Some of the challenge briefs I've read ...

I managed to finish the line work and edits and move into the color yesterday.
    I go up and down with pieces, where I'm like.. this is cool. Then this is blah and mundane.
    I suspect it is fairly common. I'm in the blah mundane mode atm.
    But I know it will change as I get more color in there.

line work done...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanoba wip 01a-07[red].jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	113228

then the update with color started...
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanoba wip 01a-08[red].jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.44 MB