Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Kanoba

And then here's the wip update.
    It's getting closer. And good thing too.
    I start into two big region maps today.
    So time is gonna be a lot tighter now.
    I'll post some close-ups over on twitter later.
    https://twitter.com/jstevensonart

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanoba wip 01a-16[red].jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	113392

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love the strong shading ! It gives a nice impression of height and a lot of contrasts, with the colors well marked, I find that this map has character! and it's a good thing!

Wow. Wowowowow. That's fast work!
    I must say I really love this. The style of mountains are my favourite from you and one of my all-time favourites too. The whole thing has a Miyazaki-vibe to it! It's eye-candy in the best form of the word!
    Edit - the shading is especially good!

beautiful. I like the volcanoes, and the color you added to the border... nice and subtle. This piece is coming together really nicely!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

=OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jaw dropping work.

Guild Expert

Looks great J.Edward, I can’t believe I only just noticed now that you’re border is matching with Thomas, and those mountains are amazing...so much character here.

Gorgeous map. Like others J E, I look forward to your maps when they come out.

Like you I go thru emotion as I'm working all the way from from, "this is turning out great" to "this is turning into junk". I guess it's true the movies you see with these famous artists tearing up their paintings or burning them. Not that we are famous but the artistic temperment seems to be pretty real.

Thanks for giving us a closer view of the process because I spent like two full days, one staying up to 3am and I feel like I'm slow as heck. I know I'm not the fastest and I'm always trying to find a way to do my painting faster but maybe it always will just require the time on the bench. I know some styles are faster than others but there are a few of you who seem to wip out a finished product in a couple days and it makes it seem like it didn't take that much. You saying it's about a week of effort, that seems right to me but I would have assumed much less because my own schedule doesn't give me week blocks of time unless I'm on vacation...yet.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I love the strong shading ! It gives a nice impression of height and a lot of contrasts, with the colors well marked, I find that this map has character! and it's a good thing!
    Thanks Joel I'm hoping to get into this some more today.
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Wow. Wowowowow. That's fast work!
    I must say I really love this. The style of mountains are my favourite from you and one of my all-time favourites too. The whole thing has a Miyazaki-vibe to it! It's eye-candy in the best form of the word!
    Edit - the shading is especially good!
    Tank you MMM that is an awesome compliment.
    I love Miyazaki and Ghibli
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    beautiful. I like the volcanoes, and the color you added to the border... nice and subtle. This piece is coming together really nicely!
    Thanks Storm
    The border color was touchy.
    Various colors just didn't look right.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    =OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jaw dropping work.
    Hehe, thanks Ren
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Looks great J.Edward, I can’t believe I only just noticed now that you’re border is matching with Thomas, and those mountains are amazing...so much character here.
    Thanks Kacey
    Yeah, while Thomas and I were discussing the commissions, I said that we might as well have some similarities, since these would both be from his adventure world.
    It adds more cohesion even though they will be done by different people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Gorgeous map. Like others J E, I look forward to your maps when they come out.

Like you I go thru emotion as I'm working all the way from from, "this is turning out great" to "this is turning into junk". I guess it's true the movies you see with these famous artists tearing up their paintings or burning them. Not that we are famous but the artistic temperment seems to be pretty real.

Thanks for giving us a closer view of the process because I spent like two full days, one staying up to 3am and I feel like I'm slow as heck. I know I'm not the fastest and I'm always trying to find a way to do my painting faster but maybe it always will just require the time on the bench. I know some styles are faster than others but there are a few of you who seem to wip out a finished product in a couple days and it makes it seem like it didn't take that much. You saying it's about a week of effort, that seems right to me but I would have assumed much less because my own schedule doesn't give me week blocks of time unless I'm on vacation...yet.
    Thanks Jax
    Yeah, the ups and downs can be annoying, but it is just part of it, for me at least.
    I work fast on some things, but super slow on others.
    Lots of stuff gets set on the back burner for long periods.

Like right now... I'm reviving a piece form 2014 and finally finishing it up.
    I'm also doing a redo/revisit to a piece from when I was a kid.
    It was going well, and then it slipped back on the backburner.
    It happens.

I don't have any updates yet.
    Maybe later today or sometime this weekend.
    I'm working on a woodland scene right now.

This is awesome ... I love the mountains and shading , the details etc , can I ask how big is the canvas you worked upon and how long you took to complete?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    This is awesome ... I love the mountains and shading , the details etc , can I ask how big is the canvas you worked upon and how long you took to complete?
    Thanks Stefano
    It's not quite done yet.

I decided early that it should be big enough for a decent print, since I knew Thomas would want a print.
    I went around 16 x 20.5 inches at 400 dpi. 18 x 24 would have been a better choice, but my sketch is what set the aspect ratio.
    I am not sure how long I have worked on it. I know more than a week, at least.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast