Thread: Imaginary Continents (Critique Wanted)

Wip Imaginary Continents (Critique Wanted)

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I started posting my work on several reddits recently and got a lot of questions asking how I made X or Y part of my map and I always default to linking here. It then occurred to me that after all my lurking, I don't have an account here. So instead of lurking, I thought i'd come looking for critiques.

The two images below are different styles (weathered/modern) I'm playing with to create some continents and island chains. They're designed like elevation maps. Would love to hear any critique you have and what you think I could do to improve. I'm going to try a more painterly style next but would love to come back to these styles too with improvements.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iuoFALl.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	113117

Name:	NIDj712.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	113118

Hello , those look very good, but if I have to rise a criticism , they do not look like continents to me , more like Islands.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think it depends on scale. We have no idea what scale is represented here. Although the bottom one I'll agree, does look more like an island because of the symbols on it and the layout of the mountains.

Welcome to the Guild, Czepeku! Great looking maps.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that they look like islands. I suppose if I added a scale and maybe made the landmass more unified they'd look more like continents. What do you think could be improved with the mountain layout?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The olive-toned one looks fine (at least to me). I think the problem with the color one is that the mountains are scattered; it give the land the appearance of a Pacific island formed by volcanic activity - there don't seem to be any mountain chains, only isolated clumps.

Name:	CzepekuIthynIslands.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	657.8 KB 
ID:	113354

Trying out a different style, what do you think? Designed to be Art Deco-y looking. Would love some feedback.

Perhaps that frame is too light to fit with the rest of colors that are more strong... had a similar issue recently... I don't get the use of planets other than that I like it, I would use that frame with more light maps like the ones made by mistybee.

Hey Naima, you mean too light in terms of colour or line weight? The planets are definitely there for decoration, although it'd fun to make a functioning star chart within a map.