Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Laugdenor's Tower

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Domino! I'm a writer, first and foremost...
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Well, after much placing, moving, shifting stuff around, I think I finally have my first floor done, with the exception of lighting. But that will come later. Now, Domino wanted my tower to have a garden... so that's what I'm working on now. I've just barely started. I'm trying to decided whether I want a natural looking garden... or whether I want a cultured garden. Right now, I'm creating something more natural, but that may be subject to change. Comments and suggestions would be most appreciated!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laugdenors Tower2.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	113184

Laugdenor rose the next morning with new purpose. A slight sense of urgency rolled in his gut, he decided not to take chances. Within a few hours, the first floor of his tower was complete, though, as he looked around, he felt he was missing something. As he studied his layout, and furnishings, he realized what he had done. Laugdenor had always been a people person, and he had been known for his get togethers with fellow wizards and scholars, or his parties and picnics for the young children of what ever town, village or city he happened to be in. Gazing around, he saw décor meant to host, or entertain his friends and companions. But those friends were gone now...

Still, one would never know. He would have visitors soon enough, as the masses down below began to see evidence of the horrors to come, hinted on the winds. Laugdenor shook his head, and headed outdoors. He would start on his garden. A place of beauty, to reattune with nature will be much needed in the days ahead.

A few hours later, and Laugdenor was well underway. In clearing out the underbrush, and deadfall, he discovered a very small pond. Upon closer inspection, this pond was a small, natural spring. Laugdenor spent hours cleaning, clearing and cultivating this young spring. This little pond would be the focal point of his garden.

Laugdenor walked back inside his tower hours later, tired, and ready for a meal. But another surprise awaited him, for perched on his bedpost, was the largest owl he had ever seen! It studied him quite calmly, and did not fly off as he approached.

"And where did you come from my fine, feathered friend? Laugdenor kept his tone even, and warm, so as not to scare the bird off. He gently sat down on his bed, and tentatively reached out his hand toward the great owl. The owl stretched to meet his hand, and within seconds, Laugdenor was petting and scratching his creast feathers while the bird tucked up one of its claws, apparently in extreme contentment.

This owl seemed content to remain with him, flying over toward his tables as he went to prepare a meal. This owl snatched no food from his table, but delicately accepted anything Laugdenor gave him. He perched patiently as Laugdenor cleared his meal away, and cleaned up after himself. Apparently, this bird had attached itself to him. Well, then, he must be accommodated.

Laugdenor walked over to the empty floor just beside his door. A moment of concentration, and a quick wave of his hand, and an indoor perch was ready for the great owl. The owl lost no time swooping over and landing on it. It looked at him wisely for a moment, before hunkering down to clean its feathers.

"I must give you a name, if you have decided to join me." Laugdenor thought for a moment, but the choice was obvious to him. "Sapien, meaning wise. That is your name."

The owl studied him, hooted once, then went back to preening his feathers...

she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Very nice lots of details already as sugestion I would just change the floor to a more warm wood ...

@Naima - I'm actually considering it. I originally planned for the Wizard's work area to be down here, which is why the marble. But then I went a different route. Marble would be better for an area where magic is being done, or potions are being made, that type of thing. Maybe I will change the first floor to wood, and make the third floor the observatory/work room, and put the marble there.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Looking good, I’m still really enjoying your writing! I can’t wait to see how you do the garden because then I can draw it in my piece!

I would add an underground basement .

I'm only doing three levels... If I was going to do a basement, I would have had to start with that. I don't want to start all over again. Especially since I can only work for about 20-30 mins at a time. I'll make it work, though
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Looking good Storm! Sorry to hear you forgot to save, but I think we have all done that a few times.

In case you are interested here are some ideas about the telescope.

Name:	telescope 02.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	113195Name:  spyglass-4e.png
Views: 82
Size:  4.2 KBName:  telescope_fluxx.png
Views: 82
Size:  31.6 KB

Bogie, these are great!!! Did you make these? Or did you find them? I really am going to try to make something myself... but I can use these for inspiration, if I can figure out how to do a curled, shaded poly in cc3+. I know it can be done, because Mouse makes those excellent curled scrolls. I then have to figure out how to make an open, domed roof, and make it look like glass....which I have some ideas on how to do that.... Or maybe I'm over thinking this.... I may have just hit on an idea... Bogie, you are a genius!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

So I've continued my work on the garden. I've added a walkway, some more trees and bushes and a little flower bed. I also found a better pond, I didn't like the other one as much. I've pretty much decided on a natural, or free form garden, as my wizard is very much into nature. I also changed my marble floors to dark wood floors, but I'm not sure which I like better. So here is the latest update:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Laugdenors Tower3.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	113202

I apologize, no story line this time, as I have surpassed my pain tolerance today and can't sit at my comp any more. I will try to add more lore later.
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 02-07-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast