Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Laugdenor's Tower

Looks good, but ...

I've been in a lot of such real world structures here in Europe, but I've never been in one where the floor boards were so BIG as yours. You might want to fix the scale there a bit ... maybe ...
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Looks good, but ...

I've been in a lot of such real world structures here in Europe, but I've never been in one where the floor boards were so BIG as yours. You might want to fix the scale there a bit ... maybe ...
    I'm sure that is true in Europe, but it really depends on the size of the trees available. Many houses in the US that were built prior to 1900 had 12" floorboards because there were such large pine trees available. In other parts of the US where the trees are smaller, narrow boards would be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    it really depends on the size of the trees available. Many houses in the US that were built prior to 1900 had 12" floorboards because there were such large pine trees available. In other parts of the US where the trees are smaller, narrow boards would be the norm.
    Gee golly whillikers, Bogie! I have to agree and disagree with you. The basis of your argument is 100% sound, but the application ...

I was born and raised in the U.S. and can confirm 100% of what you say, above all regarding the floors of those fantastic red barns that once were everywhere in my original home state of Wisconsin, but I never ever have seen a floor made of 12" floorboards where the boards were only 3 feet long as in Storm's tower.

I suppose somebody, somewhere could have cut short boards like that, and I even suppose that someone somewhere actually did it (even if only for a Marx Brothers movie). But doing it wouldn't make such sense, particularly if one considers the fantastic beam construction it would take to support the short-board floor in Storm's tower. I still think a change in scale would make things look more credible. Even better would be a fill like this from the Dundjinni Archives:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	113301

... with a 10 x 10 foot sample, leaving the question of the length of the boards sneakily open.

Nix für Ungut! Happy Sunday,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

lol... I'm still not even sure I'm going to keep that floor. I was already considering it though... I was trying to determine whether I wanted a wood floor like today, or one like my grandparents used to have. They had wide boards in their house when I was growing up. Of course, The house I remember from my childhood was originally built in 1872, by my great granddaddy!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    lol... I'm still not even sure I'm going to keep that floor. I was already considering it though... I was trying to determine whether I wanted a wood floor like today, or one like my grandparents used to have. They had wide boards in their house when I was growing up. Of course, The house I remember from my childhood was originally built in 1872, by my great granddaddy!
    Gee golly whillikers again! I'm floored! In my next posting, I'll try to be more florid too!

Happy Sunday!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I'm sorry hon, I just realized that may have sounded like I took offence. I really didn't! My great granddaddy always said he made a mistake with that floor, but great grandma like it, so he never fixed it. It's just I miss that house. My grandparents finally sold it in 1978, after my great granddaddy died. Last time I saw... that house was still standing. it's been renovated many times, over the years... but the has endured. I loved that old house, with it's cedar board walls, and it's dark floors.

But I think you may be right... the floor does need to be scaled a bit, if I keep that flooring
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I'm sorry hon, I just realized that may have sounded like I took offence.
    ?????

Hmmm. I never noticed anything offensive. I'll have to get out my magnifying glass and see if I can find it. Must be there somewhere!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Mark brought up the issue of the board length in the floors.
    But the thing that really bugs me is the light dots at the ends of the boards.
    What are those supposed to be?
    Way to big to be nails...

I've found very few wood floor patterns that I liked.
    Bogie did two sets for Dundjinni - a six tile set (Boards87) and a four tile set (Planks_10ravens),
    but those are 200x200 tiles and need to be assembled into a larger pattern...
    And I don't have a link to them. (They're sitting in my Dundjinni floor patterns folder.)
    Maybe Bogie does...

I finally made my own floor pattern from photographs Oak Floor Tileable Texture by bkh1914 on DeviantArt
    It's free for any use, but it's probably the wrong size and color for you.

Oh, I have Bogie's floors In fact, about half the symbols I'm using are from Bogie. I was one of the beta testers for Bogie's Mapping Objects for cc3+. Bogie's wood floors are beautiful, I'm just concerned that they would be too busy in these settings with everything else. I was looking for something more simple for this project. And yes, the dots are supposed to nails.

I will check around, and figure things out.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

It's late, and I hurt, so I am going to post this quickly. The first floor and garden is complete. I'm still working on the floor of my first level, I may have found something that works.

Now it's time to start working on the second floor. So here is what I have.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laugdenors Tower5.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	113344
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...