Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Laugdenor's Tower

@Mark - actually, that is sort of what I'm doing, I just have to make sure it continues to follow the path way, so I'm doing it bits at a time. Also, if you look at Domino44's map, you will see where the wizard tower is located.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    @Mark - one of the other things I'm trying to take into consideration, is how high in the sky this island is floating. Take into consideration that this tower is located on a very small plateau on the side of a mountain tip that has been broken off and is hovering a few hundred feet higher than it's base. Would the elevation of the land in the region, the height of the mountain, and the distance of the mountain tip from its base need to be taken into account as well?
    If you are talking about the cast shadow visible in your map, the height that it's floating at does not make any difference.

The sun is so far away (93 million miles for the earth) that any change in the shadow length caused by an elevation change is on the order parts per billion.

The first two floors look great!
    And I really like the floor texture you're using.

The telescope symbols Mouse pointed you to already are installed on your computer as full CC3+ symbols. Just go into DD3 modus. In the CSUAC/Dundjinni Archives toolbar, click the Equipment icon and then in the menu pick the menu option Tools, Professional.

For the roof, you might try something like the following. Take one of the tower symbols that fit your bill. Those in the CSUAC, Dundjinni Archives, Bogie's Mapping Objects and perhaps also in the CC3+ symbol libraries. (Those in the Vintyri Cartographic Collection are too narrow.) Then cut the opening into the roof for the telescope door. Open a copy of the chosen symbol in the GIMP or a similar program and give the opening Alpha channel transparency. Here's a sample symbol that does that:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planetarium.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	113634

Then make your floor and put the opening above the telescope, like in this quick-and-dirty sample:

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	597.6 KB 
ID:	113635
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

you know, I never thought to look in the equipment.... thanks Mark .

Ever since I installed the new CSUAC, there are a lot of symbols I just can't find anymore. It's like my brain remembers where they USED to be, so when I go there to look, of course I can't find them, and my brain just can't fathom where they might be now.

For example, I thought of a really cool idea for the top floor of my tower. At least, I thought it was a cool idea... anyway, instead of trying to deal with a glass roof, I want to make it open, but with a magical force field. I was going to use a colorful glow around the edges, and then use the 'twinkle stars' that I used in my Themyscera map. But now I can't find those stars. I know they have to be there somewhere, but I just can't seem to find them.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

This is totally going to be useful for gaming. I'll try to figure out a way to have a tower somewhere now
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I thought of a really cool idea for the top floor of my tower. At least, I thought it was a cool idea... anyway, instead of trying to deal with a glass roof, I want to make it open, but with a magical force field. I was going to use a colorful glow around the edges, and then use the 'twinkle stars' that I used in my Themyscera map. But now I can't find those stars. I know they have to be there somewhere, but I just can't seem to find them.
    I think I know what you mean. If I'm right, they're symbols that are free to use but that we have no license to distribute online. They're from a third source, not the CSUAC or the Dundjinni Archives. So I'll have to get back to you by E-Mail.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Well, except for the lighting... the second level is now complete. This is a tall tower, on the side of a mountain top that has been elevated, and floating above it's base (see Domino44's map, the Mountain of Rasgar). So I imagine that it would be at an extremely high elevation... which means there would be cloud cover that high up.

Which is why you see small clouds drifting around the tower It also (hopefully) helps mask those symbols that are smaller to show the higher elevation, and the gaps they leave in the scheme of things. And now for the most challenging of all... the Observatory... which may not be as challenging as I originally thought.

I still have a lot of work to do, but here is my progress so far:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Laugdenors Tower11.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	113752
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

It looks great Storm! I love the library and I can’t wait to see the observatory! I do think that the clouds need to have a shadow too, they look a little out of place at the moment.

Yup, looking good. My only nitpick would be the trees on the first level bleeding over the border. Kind of makes it look like a stone fence to me which, in turn, makes the second level of the tower kind of look like another tower instead another level of the first tower. Of course if it is supposed to be a fence then just ignore what I said and keep banging away on this.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast