Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Laugdenor's Tower

Default February 2019 Challenge: Laugdenor's Tower

I'm partnered with Domino44, and we've come up with an interesting idea. It seems that my commission for her, and her commission for me, actually work well together. So, in a way, my commission will 'be a part' of her map, and her map 'will contain' my map... sort of.

Domino's commission for me, is to map a wizard's tower. Simple enough, right? Oh no... she threw me a curve ball, and one I'm looking forward to try to figure out! As per commission instructions:

So my commission is a tower floor plan.
    1. The top level is an observatory for star gazing.
    2. there is a level with a library
    3. The floor level has a garden outside of it.
    You can add however many levels you would like with whatever you want in them.

Now, a floor level with a garden outside... no problem, I can do that. A level with a library. Well, my collegium map from a previous challenge shows I can do that, no problem. An observatory for star gazing. That is where my comfort zone falls away. I don't hand draw maps, so I'm kind of relying on the symbol sets my program has. For this I may have to do something I've NEVER done before... create a symbol!!! Actually, I may have to create more than one! So this is going to be rather interesting.

Well, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I also, for the purpose of this map, have to put all three floors (I chose 3 floors) on the same map for obvious reasons. Usually I create a separate floor for each map. So things may look a little weird for a while. I decided to start on the ground floor first. I haven't gotten much done, yet... but then I'm just starting.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laugdenors Tower1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	719.4 KB 
ID:	113137

Laugdenor looked out across the heavens. Yes, this place would do well. This land would be his final home, and someday, perhaps soon, the final sleep will claim him here. He closed his eyes, and breathed deep. The final sleep; how he longed for it. He was old, and old, and older still. He was beaten down, tired, and disgusted by petty evils and ravages of man. Their little wars, and infant squabbles, with each leader demanding of him magics and artifacts that would rip the land to shreds, until the rivers rotted with the blood of their fallen, and still they were not satisfied. He, the last wizard of a forgotten era, an era of peace and harmony, could not abide their terror.

Yet, Laugdenor knew the blame for the carnage could not be laid solely at Man's door. No, something stirred from the shadows, the Other World, and Mankind would need him in the troubled times ahead. The need would be dire, as it must be, however, for him to rejoin the human race. Mankind would need to prove their need, and their desire, to overcome the maelstrom that was to follow.

Laugdenor opened his eyes once more, and looked around at this land, untouched by man and their destructions. Yes, this place would suit his needs very well. After all, even he did not know what lurked in the Other Worlds to catch Man unaware. There was much to learn if he was going to help them, and the solitude here would assure that time to prepare. Let Man deal without him for a while...he had real work to do.

Laudgenor took a deep breath and raised his arms. It was time to begin.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-08-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Awesome start Storm! You jumped right in and got a lot done pretty quickly, I'm excited to see its progress!

oh, believe me, that's not much... but there will be more, I promise.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking swell so far, ladiestorm. And I like the lore; has a very Belgariad feel to it!

Belgariad? I don't know what that is.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I really like the idea of your works going together! I look forward to seeing what you two will cook up with this.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Okay, I can tell I'm out of the swing of things when I forget to save my work! I ended up having to start from scratch, so I am not as far along on the first floor as I would like to be. Still it's coming along. I have the left half of the first floor furnished, with the exception of lighting, but I am saving that until last, anyway.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laugdenors Tower1.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	113150

Laugdenor heaved a tired sigh, and dropped onto his bed. He had just enough energy left to conjure a hot meal, and he did so without thinking. As the aromas filled his nose and permeated his brain, he looked over at his desk in pleasant surprise. Herbed pheasant with wild mushrooms, roasted potatoes, piping hot soft rolls dripping with cream, squash and zucchini grilled to perfection, a berry rum pudding for dessert, and to wash it all down sat a bottle of the finest Elven wine; it was a feast fit for a King! The aroma of herbal tea wafted over to him from the fireplace, and Laugdenor smiled for the first time in days.

It was a kingly feast, and why not? For all that he used his magic, instead of his hands, he had worked hard today! The first floor of his tower was constructed, he need only finish furnishing it. If he continued at this pace, he would finish his new home just shy of a week. His own place of solitude, where he could come and go as he chose, and still stay well out of Man's reach, until they truly needed him.

Laugdenor absently thumbed through the Tome of Prophecy as he ate his solitary meal. Signs and portents flowed through those pages, hinting, always hinting, but right now, even he didn't understand the secrets they were trying to reveal. His smile faded as he offered a silent prayer up to every god and goddess he knew.

'Please, let me just have time to prepare...'
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Héhé, nothing's like a wizard's tower !
    Good start!

Looking great Storm! I absolutely love the added narrative, and it also gave me an idea to add to my map!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast