Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Laugdenor's Tower

@Mark Oliva- actually, Mark, you gave me EXACTLY the answers I was looking for. Yes, North is at the top of my map... I should perhaps put a compass rose on this map, I didn't really think about it since it's a map of a single structure. And yes, the windows at the top are flat, at least, that's what I'm deciding. Since the light is coming in directly from the West, seems to me that the northern and southern windows would show light at a deeper slant, also, since the light is, in effect, coming in from the side. While the windows on the Western side of the tower, the pools of light would be straighter, more direct, as the light is coming in directly.

Every thing else, is just a matter of transparency and fading... which I already have that set up like what I did for the lights on the stairs, and it looks good to me, so that's what I'm going to go with. Thanks Mark! I know, now, what to do
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

For good or for ill, this map is now complete. Thanks to everyone for their imput on this map; I think it's the most detailed map I've created, yet. A special thanks to Domino44 for such an intriguing commission! I really enjoyed taking part Please continue to make suggestions, even through they probably won't make it into this map, they will help me learn for next time!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laugdenors TowerF.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	114096

Laugdenor had been here for months, now, with no one but Sapien for company. His research was coming along; the signs and portents he watched, daily, were becoming clear. The signs in the sky mirrored the words whispered on the winds: Asmodeus, the Prince of Demons.

Asmodeus was, once again, keeping a keen eye on the World of Man. Locked away in the Nether realms, Asmodeus could do naught but influence the Primal Plane. He has been battling against his prison for eternity, seeking his way out. Thanks to the petty, and not so petty, evils of Man, the locks on his prison was weakening; this time, Asmodeus might just break free. If he did, this world, and all worlds, would be doomed for all eternity. He was already breaking free. The rolling darkness, and the appearance of his lesser minions were proof of that.

It would take more than he, alone, could do to prevent Asmodeus' release. New Celestial Locks must be made, according to the Tome of Prophecy, forged with the blood and tears of Man's greatest Heroes, men and women touched by the Divine. Marked by humble beginnings, these heroes would rise up to face Asmodeus in his Nether Prison. They must find their way through the dark, He could guide them on their journey, nothing more, until the final battle.

Laugdenor studied his scrying pool. For months now, many groups of men, and women, were actively seeking him, sent by their kings and dignitaries, to command his audience to their Lords, expecting that Laugdenor would easily handle whatever thread they were currently dealing with. And their searches for him were in vain, they were continents away.

Yet one small group of men and women were close, in fact, they were days away from the Azure Door. Were these the heroes he was looking for? He leaned into his scrying pool for a closer look. They looked like farm hands and street urchins. There was something more... yes! Each of them glowed with the faintest silvery aura, meaning they had been blessed for this journey. He wasn't sure, but this group had come farther than anyone else.

Laugdenor shrugged, turning away from his scrying pool. Only time will tell... and he would be ready...
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I sort of agree with Mark in a way.

The light symbols you are using are far too hard-edged and detract from the appearance of the map. If they are the only option I'm going to stick my neck out here and say - don't use them and go back to the way it was before.

Sorry!

I agree with Mouse.

The tower shadow indicates that the sun is to the north west and virtually directly overhead.
    Direct sunlight might hit the window sills if the windows are really tall.

However, diffuse light will enter all the windows and it comes from all directions (even the ground).
    It produces a general area of brightness without pronounced shadows, an area of brightness that gradually fades out.
    It's exactly the same type of light you get from a window on the shady side of your home.

well, this is a really tall tower, on the side of a mountain.... and I have received conflicting ideas and suggestions... so I went with one of them. I like the way it turned out, but I will definitely keep these suggetions in mind for next time!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I really love the end result! Great work on this, I also loved the story that you added to it! You fit all the puzzle pieces I asked for and it's awesome!

thanks Domino! I really had fun with it
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Great map, ladiestorm! It's a lot of fun to explore all the wonderful details and imagine being there

Fantastic map! The new lighting gives it life!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112