Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Mountain of Rasgar

Wip February 2019 Challenge: The Mountain of Rasgar

I'm so happy to be apart of this months challenge! I am partnering up with Ladiestorm and she gave me an awesome commission:
    'Map a floating land mass, complete with waterfall. It can be floating over land or water, it can be a floating city, a wizards tower, a nature preserve, any thing you want, with 2 stipulations:
    1. it must be floating over something, ie: floating over an ocean, or floating over another land mass.
    2. The waterfall must fall and flow over the edge, down to what ever the land mass is floating over.'

Storm also told me that I should get creative and I hope I accomplished that. I almost immediately had a concept of the top of a mountain being broken off and the tip is now floating over it by some kind of magic. I also did two waterfalls, I hope that's okay Storm... I commissioned Storm to make me a floor plan of an observatory tower, (which I'm really excited to see developed) but I will be adding the outside view of that tower somewhere in my map too.

Starting out with some basic line work/concept sketching.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating mountain1.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	113145

oh, Domino, that is going to be so EPIC!!!

And I LOVE the idea of two waterfalls! My only question, is where is the wizard's tower going to sit?!? I can't wait to see what you do with this! I'm so excited!!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

This is looking dope already! I adore this concept, but then again I knew Storm's beautiful brain would come up with something interesting.

Seriously. Best. Challenge. Ever.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert

This looks great Domino! I love how you’ve interpreted the concept, this is going to be a really fun challenge to watch.

This should be a good one to watch.
    You all should check out Domino's IG pics.
    She was just working on some gorgeous mountains.

Oh, really good & pretty ideas with the waterfalls, already .

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Waiting impatiently! I mean, uh, serenely.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    oh, Domino, that is going to be so EPIC!!!

And I LOVE the idea of two waterfalls! My only question, is where is the wizard's tower going to sit?!? I can't wait to see what you do with this! I'm so excited!!
    Thank you Storm! I'm glad you like multiple waterfalls because I was kinda already in love with them.. I have the tower in my latest wip!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    This is looking dope already! I adore this concept, but then again I knew Storm's beautiful brain would come up with something interesting.

Seriously. Best. Challenge. Ever.
    I know, I am so happy I decided to join this challenge! Thank you for your kind words, and yes her brain is beautiful indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This looks great Domino! I love how you’ve interpreted the concept, this is going to be a really fun challenge to watch.
    Thank you Kacey! More fun things to come!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This should be a good one to watch.
    You all should check out Domino's IG pics.
    She was just working on some gorgeous mountains.
    Thank you for the Instagram plug! Your own insta is lovely as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Oh, really good & pretty ideas with the waterfalls, already .
    Thanks Ilanthar!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Waiting impatiently! I mean, uh, serenely.
    Don't rush me! But I know what you mean!

I added most of my texture to the mountain especially to the floating top. Storm's latest update also gave me a cool idea, in her short first person narrative she magically had a bottle of the finest Elven wine. I live in upstate NY which is often referred to as 'Wine country' and because of the great minerals and water sources we have here it's a great place to grow grapes. So I thought that the waterfalls which I'm going to call something like 'The god's Water' and it would have amazing properties one of which would be the growing of grapes... so sadly I don't have time to draw an entire winery but I decided to draw a structure that was built to navigate the water to specific areas. One place the water goes to is a winery, if anyone has good ideas for other places for the water to be taken to let me know! I will also be drawing some form of aqueducts to go with it. Storm I did draw a concept for the tower but it is completely flexible so don't feel like you need to conform to my idea, completely the opposite, the tower I drew is just a place holder until I get a good idea of how your map progresses.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating mountain2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	611.1 KB 
ID:	113177

@Kellerica & Domino : ahh, you two are making me blush!!!

Domino, I have no worries! And trust me... I couldn't match your hand drawn skills if I tried! I just hope my tower floor plan lives up to your floating mountain! I promise, I will try to do it justice!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Looking good already , how about some vines and roots protuding from the mountain and perhaps some keeping it still anchored to the bottom one ?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast