Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Gaxmoor of Skelkor

Guild Expert

These mountains are spectacular! I love the painterly style and the brighter colour theme too, looks great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Actually, Naima, I think I understand what it is that's bothering you... you go from a kind of blurred texture fill and then there seems to be some single trees, that mark the end of it. The problem is.. that blurred texture seems to sit on top of the individual trees, and it causes the eyes to cross a little bit... at least it does me.

I don't know what program you are using to make this map, so I don't know if the idea I have would help you, but I know what I would do if it were cc3+. I would use that textured fill you have as the background for the forest, and then lay the more defined treeline on top of the texture. that would give you the look of underbrush in the forest. I don't know if you can do that with the program you have... but I have an example if you wish to see it, just let me know.
    Thankyou , Though decided to go with just the fluffy stuff, I removed the little trees, I think they are too detailed to fit withthe less detailed and more blurry mountains and hill style in general... I painted the fluffy stuff though as I did to make the top of the little trees, but for some reason I applied a couple of blurrs after clonign around and become less crisp ... anyway I hope looks good now .

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I like this style, very "painted"... Looking forward to see the whole map !

Thanks.

Since I like to change and jumpfrom a thing to another I was trying to experiment with a possible frame for the map ...

What you think of this ? I alsotried to experiment with color grade and tones for a final map presentation , I am not sure if all fits together and if it looks good or not ... my Idea was to make a sort of wooden carved logo and frame to capture the map , but the map somehow beeing cartoony and the wood perhaps would fit more with a parchment black and white or more subtle painted style?

Anyway here it is ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vpQNEdU.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	467.6 KB 
ID:	113306

Thanks.

Since I like to change and jumpfrom a thing to another I was trying to experiment with a possible frame for the map ...

What you think of this ? I alsotried to experiment with color grade and tones for a final map presentation , I am not sure if all fits together and if it looks good or not ... my Idea was to make a sort of wooden carved logo and frame to capture the map , but the map somehow beeing cartoony and the wood perhaps would fit more with a parchment black and white or more subtle painted style?

Anyway here it is ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vpQNEdU.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	467.6 KB 
ID:	113306

24 h.

Ooo, I love the way the water looks so far! The mountains are also very cool, so different from anything I've seen before. I'm not sold on that frame, I don't think it has the same quality as the rest of the map.

Yeh I felt it wasn't fitting somehow.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the design of the frame, but not the execution - it's very very bold, distracts a little from the map itself. What about using some lighter colors in it?

But the map... damn, that is nice. The mountain shadows really sell it, but the whole thing is top-notch.

The map is looking wonderful. I like the dragon frame even if it isn't a perfect match to the map.

Thankyou guys , what kind of frame you think might fit better?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast