Hi All.

This post was sparked by a conversation going on in another thread which touched on 'exposure'. While the thread was talking about people asking for free maps in exchange for exposure, it did get me thinking about how people promote themselves and/or their maps. So, if it's not too personal a question, how do people promote themselves and gain exposure?

When I think of gaining exposure there are a few options that spring to mind:

1) Social Media
For me this has been a mixed bag. Facebook does next to nothing, but Instagram has proven to be very useful.

2) Art Sites
While I have a (very) old DeviantArt account, I haven't used it for a few years now. Do people find DA, ArtStation and similar sites useful?

3) Personal Website
While I do have a personal website it doesn't focus on my maps (although I am considering giving it a revamp to give them more space). However I find my website is less how people find me and more somewhere I can direct them when they want to see more examples of my work.

4) Store Sites
I have a small store on DriveThruRPG and a Red Bubble account, but similar to my website, I find these tend to be places people get direct too after finding me.

Do you folks use similar ways of promoting yourselves? Have you found some better than others? I'm pretty new to social media so you'll notice I haven't mentioned things like Twitter, Patreon or reddit; are these worth looking into? I appreciate there is no right answer to this question, and what works for one person may not work for another, but I think it would be good to share experiences and I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on the matter.