Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Tuura City

I need coffee just to sit and read posts on the guild.. yawns...
    It's all that BLACK licorice she's eating... has corrupted her.
    I'm definitely eager to see you take on a city. It should be good.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Oh, now you're really out of your comfort zone! Very good idea, that map made from the gel photo.... (I made my first map of a world from the spots on my dog's fur). I am very happy to see your work on this type of map, and I am sure it will be beautiful!!!!

Okay, I really need to get moving with this one, as I desperately want to enter the current Lite challenge as well...

I was originally going to go with a very southern, tropical setting for this, but as I was refining that sketch based on the frost shapes, it suddenly hit me... This ain't no tropical city. This here is shaping into no other place than Tuura. With just a few adjusted lines here and there, the shape suddenly became shockingly familiar, in that way it sometimes happens when you finally manage to visualize something your imagination created and yet you still haven't been able to quite put your finger on.

Tuura, Tuuransilta by its official title ("Tuura's bridge", tuura itself is a word for an ice pick/tool of sorts) is one of the most iconic locations on Syr. It is an ancient city, built in a time when the humanity was a lot better off than they are now, in the days long before the drastic Fracture that released all sorts of magical anomalies into the world that were thought gone forever. Even with the return of the Witchblood that followed the Fracture, the art of building cities like this is lost to the ages - at least for now.

Named after the Tuura family that originally settled the abandoned city after finding it again, Tuuransilta is a central hub of trade in all of Syr. The Bridge City is by far the only safe place to cross the Railo Sea on foot, and it also serves as a convenient docking place for the Islander traders sailing from their archipelago. It's still not a large city by modern or even medieval standards, as Syr is still living in fairly un-advanced times, but it is one of the largest settlements in the land. Not only does it have a large fishing community, but the nearby areas also provide quite a lot of ore, and the city is home to one of the most famous blacksmith families in Syr.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TuuraHaaste.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	113671

I'm still very much in the planning stage for this one, as you can obviously see, but it does feel good to finally start fleshing out this place.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 02-20-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Hey, if any of you CL's happen to see this, could one of you be awesome and change the title of my thread to "Tuura City" from the vague placeholder it currently has?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Hey, if any of you CL's happen to see this, could one of you be awesome and change the title of my thread to "Tuura City" from the vague placeholder it currently has?
    Glad to see you making progress and isn't it just the worst to have two challenges at the same time and you want to do them both?

PS. Changed your title for ya 😂
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Glad to see you making progress and isn't it just the worst to have two challenges at the same time and you want to do them both?

PS. Changed your title for ya ��
    It is positively the worst. *somber nod*

And thanks, you're the best!

Some further planning...

This is about as hard as I thought it would be. There is a reason I haven't really done cities... The layout for this place most likely isn't as logical as it could be, but hey, maybe the simple folk of Syr aren't the brightest city planners either...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TuuraHaaste02.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	113673

I also don't know why the sketch has such a pink tone going for it. It just happened.

I like the layout.
    Seems like a fun, crazy plan.
    Might be hectic on trading days, when all the merchants are trying to come and go.

Maybe you are developing a color short hand.
    I do that with light blue for my early stage stuff.
    I just go with a basic color to get going, knowing it will change later.
    And it's usually I color I wouldn't keep.

Oh wow, this is looking really cool Kel! I love the background of this and I really look forward to seeing it develop. As for the layout, I think it's pretty decent. I'm no expert when it comes to this myself, but to me it looks quite organic and there's no super odd streets or anything, at least not that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I like the layout.
    Seems like a fun, crazy plan.
    Might be hectic on trading days, when all the merchants are trying to come and go.

Maybe you are developing a color short hand.
    I do that with light blue for my early stage stuff.
    I just go with a basic color to get going, knowing it will change later.
    And it's usually I color I wouldn't keep.
    Hehe, I can already imagine the insanity of a busy market day and the few odd travelers in the midst of it like "I JUST WANT TO CROSS THE BRIDGES LET ME THROUGH DAMNIT"

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Oh wow, this is looking really cool Kel! I love the background of this and I really look forward to seeing it develop. As for the layout, I think it's pretty decent. I'm no expert when it comes to this myself, but to me it looks quite organic and there's no super odd streets or anything, at least not that I can see.
    Glad to hear it! Now get busy with yours, chop chop!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast