Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Tuura City

Default February 2019 Challenge: Tuura City

The start of this one wasn't as smooth as one could have hoped. This was the start of Daniel's original brief to me:

So what you'll need to start with is drink a cup of coffee. When you're finished, take a picture of the cup. The stains on the inside will determine the primary shape of the map. This can either be a world or regional map, a city map, or even a dungeon or structure.

I always love using random shapes like this to create maps. The only problem being, I don't drink the brown p*** brewed by the bean demons. After consulting with Dan, we agreed I could use some other random natural-ish shapes instead.

For a bit, I considered using the gross food stains on my stove, but eventually decided nobody wanted to see that picture, and I sure as hell didn't want to look at it for even longer. So I cleaned the stove like a normal person for once and was still no closer to getting the map started.

When trying to find something else to use, I suddenly remembered I had this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frostwindow.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	113190

This is frost on the balcony glass at my grandparents' place up in Kuusamo, taken last winter with my rather bad camera phone.
    So I took the picture, and traced a shape alongside the frost patterns (I'm currently living separated from my Cintiq so I had to do this with my mouse, please excuse the fantastic quality of the mask).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frostmap.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	113191

This will serve as my starting point (unless Dan has any objections).

Dan's brief went on:

However, for each style of map there are a couple of requirements and some bonus points to be scored.

Main requirements:

World/regional map:
    - There must be at least three distinct cultures visible on the map. How you decide to show that is up to you, but it must be clear that these are culturally different from each other.

City Map:
    - There must be at least three ruling houses in the town or city. Again, how you decide to do that is up to you, but it must be shown visually.

Dungeon/building
    - Same as before, this dungeon or building must have at least three residents. These can be three individuals, three tribes, three bosses. Whatever you choose.

Bonus Points:

- Squeeze in references to guild members
    - Use a colour palette that's bright and soft, contrary to what you usually do
    - Finish this map before the end of the challenge

Now, I figured I might actually travel beyond my comfort zone for a bit and, rather than the regional map my mind immediately goes to, drop the scale down and build a city on this broken coast.

Will I come to regret this decision, or will this be the best map ever made? Join Kell's wild frost mapping extravaganza and find out!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 02-08-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I really like the concept picture! The shoreline looks pretty good so far, I’m excited to watch it develop!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I will watch this develop eagerly, Dark Lady Kell. I don't think I've ever seen you do a city map either...

That starting point is great - for some reason my mind goes right to Fritz Lieber and Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser when I try to picture a city on that broken patch of land.

I love the fact that, not only are we getting some fantastic maps out of this challenge, we're also getting some brilliant, peculiar and frankly flamboyant commission briefs.

This is off to a very nice start so far, Kell. I'm always excited to see a new city map taking shape.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I love this concept, and the starting picture is very cool (or... cold... You know, bad english, things like that, hard to makes jokes :-p).
    Very great start !

Kellerica on a city map ! He's late, but Santa finally listened to my Christmas wishes \o/
    Can't wait to see it !!

Whhaaaaat! How are you mapping without coffee ??
    *suddenly remembers to start the coffee machine again*

More seriously, very nice concept... and my hats off to you for being so bold and starting a city !

- Use a colour palette that's bright and soft, contrary to what you usually do
    .....nah, make it BLACK... as the dark roasted coffee bea.... cough... as your SOUL!

Ok but seriously, nice one. Go Kelleri !
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Whhaaaaat! How are you mapping without coffee ??
    *suddenly remembers to start the coffee machine again*
    WE DO NOT TOLERATE THE BEAN DEMONS IN KELL CITY. BEGONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    .....nah, make it BLACK... as the dark roasted coffee bea.... cough... as your SOUL!
    I'll try to limit my dark soul seeping into the map with this one. I have a feeling it won't be easy... xD
    Last edited by Kellerica; 02-08-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I'm really curious to see what you are going to do with this one!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast