Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fractal Terrains Error when using Incise Flow

The software was probably doing something that no Windows user would expect: when saving a map from Wilbur, you need to select the file type from the dropdown every time. Just entering the name or just clicking Save will get you the default type, which is PNG Surface. I am aware that it's not a great (or even good) design, but there are multiple types with the same extension (e.g. PNG Surface and PNG texture). If you open the file in Notepad and look at the first few bytes, an MDR file will read "WLBR" and the first few bytes of a PNG will read "‰PNG".

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The software was probably doing something that no Windows user would expect: when saving a map from Wilbur, you need to select the file type from the dropdown every time. Just entering the name or just clicking Save will get you the default type, which is PNG Surface. I am aware that it's not a great (or even good) design, but there are multiple types with the same extension (e.g. PNG Surface and PNG texture). If you open the file in Notepad and look at the first few bytes, an MDR file will read "WLBR" and the first few bytes of a PNG will read "‰PNG".
    Aye. I know about having to select the actual file type. Did that. It is definitely saves as MDR.
    WLBR  ð¿ ð? ð? ð¿ ð?¢©,;¼R?6ãñÕ^b?  ‹ T €?
    Somewhere along the way I just had to screw something up. I am just going to have to start a new FT map from scratch and try to get it right this pass through.

I'm out of suggestions about what might be going wrong, I'm afraid. Wilbur giving an MDR file error code of -2 means that the OS can't open the file, which possibly means that it's open in FT or something else. Very strange.

Thanks for all the help. One last question (for now at least) - is there any way to import into FT and retain prescale editing or is that option lost once you import Into FT?

prescale editing is associated with the fractal function part of the calculations and binary worlds don't use the fractal part, so there's not much that can happen there.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    prescale editing is associated with the fractal function part of the calculations and binary worlds don't use the fractal part, so there's not much that can happen there.
    So what is the next best option? Adjusting with just Land Offset?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaalis View Post
    So what is the next best option? Adjusting with just Land Offset?
    When you've used Burn In To Surface to convert your binary input to an offset, then Land Offset is your choice. With roughness at 0, you won't see any editing in the prescale offset channel.

Ok, so I am having a new issue with Wilbur this time.

So what am I doing wrong? I start with the following:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent Map.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	113541

Open it in Wilbur and set Span and Edges:
    Attachment 113538

Then I try to add Fractal Noise as follows:
    Attachment 113539

Yet all I get is this washed out wavy noise:
    Attachment 113540

Ok, so I found that I can't do Fractal Noise, I need to do Calculate Height Field. I'm now getting this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilbur Select 4.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	113543

From here I think I need to hand paint or try changing the seed?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaalis View Post
    … Yet all I get is this washed out wavy noise:
    Most likely, there are one or more points that are of fairly large magnitude on your surface. This can happen if your mask wasn't hard-edged (masks can be fixed in Wilbur with Select>>Modify>>Binarize). What happens is that if the selection isn't hard-edged, filling the surface with a large value may result in a semi-large value along the edge that can be greater than the magnitude of your attempted fractal noise. I mentioned the smooth edges thing because your first Wilbur image has brown edges, which would indicate that the selection isn't fully hard-edged.

One way to look at your surface altitude distributions is with Window>>Histogram. You should see a fairly narrow distribution and probably a few outliers. Filter>>Height Clip can be used to clip off the outliers to get a better result.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast