Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Staggered Goat Tavern

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Why does that goat look so damned smug? What does he know???

Very promising!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Why does that goat look so damned smug? What does he know???
    Ha! I was going for the vaguely stoned look...

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Ha! I was going for the vaguely stoned look...
    Which is the perfect look! My wife weighed in to say she loves this, especially how you rendered the mountains on the top-down map. She also said, "Wait, there's a secret room in the basement of the Staggered Goat? I can't believe we didn't even bother to look for hidden rooms!" Yeah...as DM, I also couldn't believe no one in the party fully checked out the tavern!

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Which is the perfect look! My wife weighed in to say she loves this, especially how you rendered the mountains on the top-down map. She also said, "Wait, there's a secret room in the basement of the Staggered Goat? I can't believe we didn't even bother to look for hidden rooms!" Yeah...as DM, I also couldn't believe no one in the party fully checked out the tavern!
    Yes, they would hardly be able to miss it at the moment (as it has TD scribbled on it in larger than life letters!)

Right, so reluctantly (because there is still sooooo much to do on this), I am going to have to call it finished for the challenge.

The original challenge from aeshnidae was as follows:

I would love you to map the Staggered Goat tavern in the gritty mining village of Cheapside (village map linked below, but it was one of my very first maps so if you'd like to do a little inset with better village map, that would be awesome). The Staggered Goat has three levels - ground (main) floor, with the bar, fireplace, bare bones kitchen, and proprietor's quarters; a limited upstairs (not a full story) for a handful of guests; and a basement for betting on boxing/wrestling matches (or just brawls); the basement also has a small hidden storage room. There's an outhouse behind the tavern.

Black Bhoni is the proprietor of the Goat; she's a retired halfling assassin. She mostly serves the locally made Crag Rock Rye (rotgut whiskey) and cheap local beer, but she keeps some Grey Label whiskey (good stuff) and Julien's Reserve whiskey (really good stuff) in her personal quarters and will happily overcharge for those. Most of her money is made from the fights.

Top-down floor plan and map insert work for me. I really like your Drunkard's Side map style for an inset but if you'd prefer to do something different, go for it. If you could create a little sign for the Staggered Goat, that would be awesome, but not necessary. Everything else is totally up to you.

Like my challenge to aeshnidae (which I think also took her a ways out of her comfort range), this has taken me so far outside my comfort range, that I doubted that I could even get it close to completed in time. I have learnt how to draw iso buildings - although not particularly well. I have wasted vast amounts of paper drawing and then re-drawing bits and pieces to try to get things to work, and then trying to make sure I was drawing the right lines so that I couldn't see things through other things.... I didn't settle on a colour scheme until quite recently, and the addition of a parchment texture was a last-minute thing which I think has worked quite well/

This was originally planned in Sketchup and then hand-drawn with paper and ink, then scanned in. It was then manipulated with a combination of Photoshop and GIMP - mainly because I know GIMP well and so can do things quickly in it, but no matter what I do I can't get my Huion pen tablet to work with GIMP - it works brilliantly with Photoshop!

No time to edit any more of it unfortunately, so this will have to do, incomplete as it is...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sg final.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	114280
    Last edited by Tonquani; 03-17-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Nice simple layout and solid linework. Muted colors was a good choice. A bit of light and shadow would have been the icing on the cake, but it's a fine entry none-the-less. Great work.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234