Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge : KC Outpost Nr 09020317

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    How how, impressive, a bold choice of colours, zooming in it is great, zooming out I would tend to reduce the contrast/lighting maybe ? Juste my two cents
    Thanks ! You mean make the lights less bright ? Or make the darkness brighter ?

Great choice with the blue lighting...it really pops.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Expert

Oh wow, it looks so cool! What a difference the lights have made to the overall look, it's awesome! I do agree with Tenia though, but I think it's just in the upper halls. The final chamber is absolutely perfect, it looks really amazing so I think it's just the contrast in the upper halls... I would brighten the surroundings just a touch more like the last room, but maybe not as bright since it makes sense for the final chamber to be a bit brighter then the rest and it's only noticeable when zoomed out like Tenia said...and I love that you've made the water fall glow, it's a really nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thanks a lot ! I had time today, and made some progress... Still have a lot to do with lights and reflections too...

Critics and comments welcome...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attachment 113894
    This is Impressive , seems to look at a videogame 3d generated level , and its all handdrawn ? Everything fits perfectly in the style and colors just bring all to the upper level !

Great choices for he lights! Very "sci-fi" and cold in a way.
    I also love the waters! It's gonna be epic!

That’s awesome! I love the blue lights, I also love the flooding water in the bottom left room!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Great choice with the blue lighting...it really pops.
    Thank you very much! I now realize that it is much more difficult to "light" a dungeon with blue light than with orange light (with torches): I lose a lot of information in the colors of the walls, the stone, etc.... I think I need to work on all this a little bit more....

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    This is Impressive , seems to look at a videogame 3d generated level , and its all handdrawn ? Everything fits perfectly in the style and colors just bring all to the upper level !
    Thank you! Thank you! It's funny, I had to let myself be influenced by video games (which I play) without realizing it? For the hand drawing, if you zoom into the map, you will see a lot of mistakes, defects, failures... I really need time to work on my gesture: too imprecise, impatient... It is really a permanent struggle between the desire to do well and the desire to move forward....

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great choices for he lights! Very "sci-fi" and cold in a way.
    I also love the waters! It's gonna be epic!
    Thank you! I am very happy, since Kacey's request was to do the underground of an advanced but disappeared civilization... the "science fiction" side of which you speak helps me well to join the requests of my sponsor !
    For the waterfall, it's a happy coincidence: when I placed the lights, I didn't even notice that it would be behind the waterfall. First I did all the lighting effects, then I began the water... and then: good surprise! As I drew the water, I gradually saw it shine... And then you think to yourself: what a luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    That’s awesome! I love the blue lights, I also love the flooding water in the bottom left room!
    Thank you! I am very happy with the effect it gives in the end. I was far from thinking it would be successful..... There are a lot of bets on the making of this map, it's very challenging.... Not sure I'll win them all, but I'll do my best!

I really love the general spirit of the whole map and the light is definitely a great addition, but most of all, Jo, the water is absolutely wonderful !

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Oh wow, it looks so cool! What a difference the lights have made to the overall look, it's awesome! I do agree with Tenia though, but I think it's just in the upper halls. The final chamber is absolutely perfect, it looks really amazing so I think it's just the contrast in the upper halls... I would brighten the surroundings just a touch more like the last room, but maybe not as bright since it makes sense for the final chamber to be a bit brighter then the rest and it's only noticeable when zoomed out like Tenia said...and I love that you've made the water fall glow, it's a really nice touch.
    I'm really glad you like it! After all, that's what's most important in this challenge, isn't it?

For the final rooms, it is quite easy : the energy spheres shine brightly and illuminate the whole room. It is much more difficult for all the lights along the corridors and other rooms: as the outpost is abandoned, in my opinion the lights should not be too powerful, they are more like spotlights, which shed little light. I also need the high contrast, so that many places in the underground are really in the dark. But I understand what you're saying: the superior rooms have to be a little clearer, so that we can see what's inside (and above all, avoid this strange aspect on the zoomed out map...). I'll try to do that, without losing too much of the spotlight effect.... (I realize that this is a real challenge...)

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I really love the general spirit of the whole map and the light is definitely a great addition, but most of all, Jo, the water is absolutely wonderful !
    Thank you very much Misty! Compliments that give me great pleasure and courage to try to improve these lighting effects in the upper floors.... I progress step by step in an uncharted region for me

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast