Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Azelor Valley

Blog Entries

That looks great, Greason.
    I think the outlines could maybe do with a small gblur to ease the pixellation but I think a mountain range done like that would look tremendous. And I'm honestly not sure I've ever used that word before.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks Ramah. I'm planning for a little blur once everything is drawn in and shaded. Hopefully I will have some real time to work on this over the weekend. My weekdays only give me like an hour at a time, so progress is frustratingly slow.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Well, I'm making progress, just not quit as quickly as I would like. Did a slight shading adjustment to the mountain edges (as they are done so far) and got some more shadows in, but feel as though they are a little sparse in some areas.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Toying with the idea of color for this but not committed to it just yet. If I can get all the drawing done with some time to spare, I will give some coloring a go.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azelor Valley - WIP 003.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	113737
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

You are doing it all by hand...that sounds like some crazy thing I would do. I'm always trying to find ways to speed this type of thing up but sometimes it doesn't work and you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I tried a quick test to see if could create a similar look quickly. Depending on how exact you need this I did the lower mountain in the image below in about 2 minutes. Spending a little more time might give a little better result, this was just a quickie.

In case you want to try it, I use pressure sensitivity to control darkness of lines. The main outline of the mountain is with the a regular round brush and then I used one of my favorite brushes (oil pastel large, doubling its size & set to 50% opacity) for the shading. I just lightly drag it where I want the shadow and you may need to fiddle with the opacity of the brush depending on your hardware. Granted, it's not going to give you as clean lines as you have now but it is very quick and if you do end up coloring it may not make much difference.

If this is of no use to you then no harm done. Just trying to help out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quick test.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	113739  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Sadly, no tablet, so it is hand-mouse for me. Tried working with a tablet a while back on a friend's system and just couldn't get comfortable with it for some reason. My biggest problem is that I am impatient with myself. Spend 20-30 minutes working on something and feel like I should be so much further along than I am. Still got plenty of time, though, so I am not in panic mode yet.

But it was a great suggestion, and I appreciate it.
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Sadly, no tablet, so it is hand-mouse for me. Tried working with a tablet a while back on a friend's system and just couldn't get comfortable with it for some reason. My biggest problem is that I am impatient with myself. Spend 20-30 minutes working on something and feel like I should be so much further along than I am. Still got plenty of time, though, so I am not in panic mode yet.

But it was a great suggestion, and I appreciate it.
    Dude! Just wow. I was using a mouse when I first started and it was like drawing with a rock. Maybe it would be easier to draw on blank paper then scan or photograph that to get it into Photoshop?

Either way I'm even more impressed now.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Dude! Just wow. I was using a mouse when I first started and it was like drawing with a rock. Maybe it would be easier to draw on blank paper then scan or photograph that to get it into Photoshop?

Either way I'm even more impressed now.
    Ha! Me Captain Caaaaaaveman!

One of my problems these days is a bit of nerve damage that causes my hand/arm to twitch violently at random times. Used to draw on paper all of the time, but now.... An eraser and cntrl-Z aren't quite the same.
    GW

I like the style you are going with and it's impressive that it's all done with a mouse.
    Personally, I stopped drawing with a mouse after I broke one. Too much clicking.

If you have access to a tablet, I would say that the effort will be worth it.
    It took me 2-3 hours to get comfortable enough.
    It's faster and more responsive than the mouse and you have more options when drawing, such as sensitivity pressure.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.

You did that with a mouse!? I also started with a mouse and I don’t know how I did it. If you invest in a tablet even a cheap one it will make your life a lot easier!

I really like the mountain style you’re creating here. I’m excited to see the mountains finished!

@ Domino - Yup, with a mouse. As I mentioned earlier, I just can't seem to get comfortable with a tablet. There is just something that, at least for me, feels awkward about it.

Anyway, more progress. Again not quite as much as I had hoped for, but I did have to step away from it for a while because of work. Still feeling fairly good about the look of it so far.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azelor Valley - WIP 004.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	113749
    GW

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast