Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Land of a Thousand Falls

Default February 2019 Challenge: Land of a Thousand Falls

I know what your thinking but no, this is not a land of peg legged pirates!

Ramah and I finally got to brass tacks and he provided a rough sketch of what I'm to tackle as well as some descriptive information.

I haven't started anything but here is the pertinent information...

The land is very terraced and I've added a bunch of ledges where the water can go over. Feel free to add more or move them or whatever to suit.

The climate can be whatever you like. I imagine quite a temperate one with grasslands between the ledges but I'm easy. The population is human.

The top corner of the map is where the edge of an evil, arid land can be seen on the other side of the mountains. This place needs to be visibly evil...

The red lines are the approximate borders of the land. The border at the top is a large cliff that runs from the mountains to the sea. The border on the left is the main river in that area.

The green are forests. Feel free to add more where you see fit or shift some if needed. But I'd like some to run along the base of most of the cliff border.

The orangey circles are towns. There are more that need adding so feel free to drop some in where you feel the land will support them. Any cargo that comes up and down the rivers will also need winding roads and maybe a few cargo lifts.

The land is very mineral rich and there are many mines, currently in use and abandoned. The stuff that comes out these mines and quarries is the major export of this land. Due to the high value of these wares there should be a strong military presence so obvious fortifications such as castles and towers etc. should be scattered around.

There will be various places of interest that will need marking such as stone circles, etc, These will follow later.

The map will require a border. How elaborate is up to you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	113331

Lots to chew on. I'm deciding if I want to go for my typical top down looking map or something more akin to my Lost Blacklock mine piece. Hmm...decisions.
    I'll start some scribbles as soon as I can.

Alright, so I'm officially in....yikes!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Waterfalls are tough, a thousand of them,,,,OMG!
    Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Interesting sketch! Looking forward how you'll do all those elements .

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

At first I thought it said "Land of a Thousand Fails" and was like, awwww that's not nice! He's mapping all our abandoned maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    At first I thought it said "Land of a Thousand Fails" and was like, awwww that's not nice! He's mapping all our abandoned maps!
    More like he knows how my map is going to turn out, ROFL
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I wish you best of luck! I love waterfalls in maps so this should be awesome!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    More like he knows how my map is going to turn out, ROFL
    Nope. I have faith in you. You WILL finish it, and it WILL be awesome.

Internet has been down since Wednesday so not able to post much but I've started in.
    Progress images reduced so as not to use up my phone's data plan.

It sucks not having internet for 3 days....not to mention I've missed a day of work.

I may be adding some more river areas and likely will load up a lake in front of one of those cliffs to allow a wide Niagara like waterfall as well. Right now just getting it all positioned.
    I need to create forests and towns, roads and whatnot but I've miles to go yet.

I'm also travelling the last week of this so I need to get these ponies moving. So far, I worked on this yesterday and today off and on.
    I'm still seeking a faster way to get results but I'm not sure if my methods are conducive to it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 1000 Falls.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	113535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02 1000 Falls.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	774.6 KB 
ID:	113536

Lots and lots of work to do, hope I can squeeze out enough time.

Wow, that's looking fantastic so far Jax! So far it's very brown, but I guess it's going to look greener in the final version?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Looking great, love the style, and the claw is just cool!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast