Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cave Labyrinth

Need some serious feedback for this one so far, I'm running out of elements haha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Labirinto.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.84 MB 
ID:	113476

Magical doors/shortcuts between the rooms?

More elevations and "pendences" ?

Some rooms can be really sneaky with vegetation as well. as I think the water sources might create dangerous musk and growing branches, hard to cross.
    I also think you can try to test different textures with the floor.. to indicare different difficulties.

Some can bemore dry, some really rocky, some "marshy" and some really sloopy, as mud.

That's a first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    Magical doors/shortcuts between the rooms?

More elevations and "pendences" ?

Some rooms can be really sneaky with vegetation as well. as I think the water sources might create dangerous musk and growing branches, hard to cross.
    I also think you can try to test different textures with the floor.. to indicare different difficulties.

Some can bemore dry, some really rocky, some "marshy" and some really sloopy, as mud.

That's a first impression.
    How can I do those elevations and pendences? My idea originally was to create the illusion of going deeper into the dungeon, but I don't know how to do that.

Put some plants, I think it looks nice, I also think that I'll do a rework on some textures later.

Views:	34 
Size:	7.86 MB 
ID:	113492

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda91 View Post
    How can I do those elevations and pendences? My idea originally was to create the illusion of going deeper into the dungeon, but I don't know how to do that.

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	113493

First off my honest apology for using part of your map. but as i'm not native english for me is sometimes very hard to explain.

I like your concept and I think that the hard time for you starts when your texture are TOO DARK.
    My personal opinion, from my own experience, would suggest you to use a lighter texture.

Using black doesn't make the drawing darker. you might make so that the darkest color isn't the black. NEVER.

So you still have the opportunity to make the area darker.
    As you see from the two palettes in the top corner, your lighter color (picked from your texture in the neutral area, not the higlighted rooms) is placed in my mid-dark palette.

So, in your case.. If you want to go darker, when going deeper i think the challenge is in to balance the light at your best.

If you start with a lighter color you will be able to make it darker as long you go trough the sessions of your dungeon, till the center.

I think also, you shoulnd't just keep a gradual shade, as you see in my sample, i tried to create different elevation using just a multiply and a screen layer, and applying different shades with the pressure of the pen.

If, you don't have a pen to draw, or you are not interested to handle the shades in this why, one option is to create a folder for the shadows and a folder for the lights.
    On each folder you can have the usual layers with the blend you preferer as always, but you can play with opacity to simulate the pen pressure and add tiny details and interesting shades.

Also, i think that when the terrain goes very down, also the shadow dropped will be longer, as the source of light will be placed in different positions

But this is another complex thing and i'm not even the right person to explain it, as i'm just an amateur and i never have studied, i just ..xperiment untill it looks ok to me. LOL

So... in short:

Try to start from a neautral medium lighted texture (or apply different trasparencies of light to your actual texture)
    and add shadows, not going straight, but with a dinamic layout..
    Have different eleation in the same room as well..

Try, if you wish, and let me know how it goes for you!
    Hope this will help ya!

I think, once you setted all the elevation for the individual rooms, you can add a final round of shadows and lights to create that effect of "going deeper" till the center.

IDK, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda91 View Post
    Put some plants, I think it looks nice, I also think that I'll do a rework on some textures later.

Size:	7.86 MB 
ID:	113492
    YAY! I think the mossy areas are great and gave an additional touch to fill the whole thing

First off my honest apology for using part of your map. but as i'm not native english for me is sometimes very hard to explain.

I like your concept and I think that the hard time for you starts when your texture are TOO DARK.
    My personal opinion, from my own experience, would suggest you to use a lighter texture.

Using black doesn't make the drawing darker. you might make so that the darkest color isn't the black. NEVER.

As you see from the two palettes in the top corner, your lighter color (picked from your texture in the neutral area, not the higlighted rooms) is placed in my mid-dark palette.

So, in your case.. If you want to go darker, when going deeper i think the challenge is in to balance the light at your best.

If you start with a lighter color you will be able to make it darker as long you go trough the sessions of your dungeon, till the center.

I think also, you shoulnd't just keep a gradual shade, as you see in my sample, i tried to create different elevation using just a multiply and a screen layer, and applying different shades with the pressure of the pen.

If, you don't have a pen to draw, or you are not interested to handle the shades in this why, one option is to create a folder for the shadows and a folder for the lights.
    On each folder you can have the usual layers with the blend you preferer as always, but you can play with opacity to simulate the pen pressure and add tiny details and interesting shades.

Also, i think that when the terrain goes very down, also the shadow dropped will be longer, as the source of light will be placed in different positions

But this is another complex thing and i'm not even the right person to explain it, as i'm just an amateur and i never have studied, i just ..xperiment untill it looks ok to me. LOL

So... in short:

Try to start from a neautral medium lighted texture (or apply different trasparencies of light to your actual texture)

Hope this will help ya!
    This is awesome, I'll try it.

YAY! I think the mossy areas are great and gave an additional touch to fill the whole thing
    Another update.

Size:	7.79 MB 
ID:	113494

So... in short:

Hope this will help ya!
    I tried it with my pen but I wasn't able to reach the same result you did, mine looks dull.

Name:	Capturar.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	113495

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast